• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To wait or not to wait? That is the question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penixor

Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Location
Oregon
I am really wanting to upgrade now because im using a barton 2500+ oced to 2200 and some crap house brand 512mb ram. To top it all off a Radeon 9700 and i am really wanting to upgrade but im not sure if i should wait for Socket M and DDR2. Can anyone shed some light on the subject, i want have the cash to upgrade till around March but i want it soo bad. ARRGH. I keep telling my self that i should wait but april/may is looking further and further away.
 

dave_graham

Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
penixor said:
I am really wanting to upgrade now because im using a barton 2500+ oced to 2200 and some crap house brand 512mb ram. To top it all off a Radeon 9700 and i am really wanting to upgrade but im not sure if i should wait for Socket M and DDR2. Can anyone shed some light on the subject, i want have the cash to upgrade till around March but i want it soo bad. ARRGH. I keep telling my self that i should wait but april/may is looking further and further away.

you're prolly not going to be able to get the Socket AM2 parts until late in Q2 (end of May/early june). According to my AMD channel rep, while the announcement of Socket AM2 as shipping product may be in Q1, widespread availability will not be present until much later. call it a paper launch or whatever, but that's the story.

personally, i think your best bet is a 170/175 dual core opteron now. this'd give you a little more longevity.

dave
 
OP
P

penixor

Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Location
Oregon
Hmmm i would definetly get one of hte opties just to say i got one and OC that baby and dual core ownage would just be sweet. But M2 seems so close but i dont know if i want to pay the "just released so im overpriced" price. Yeah i think i will just go with the opty 170 and all that gear. I may skip water cooling to save cash to get my rig sooner.