• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toast CPU by flashing BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MV99

I was jsut finishing my A7V333 system overclocking from 1.6G to 1.84G. I thought if I can raise the CPU voltage a little more I can do higher. A7V333 is capable of doing unlimited CPU voltage. However, owner wont be able to use it follow the instruction from manual. There is a hidden jumper for that function.

This was before I found the undocumented jumper (it is located around CPU socked which Abb1 helped me to find it) for getting unlimited voltage.

I thought it may be solved by update latest BIOS. I then use the ASUS update utility program download the file and flash it. Everything looked smoothly and after it finished, it told me to restart the machine. I did, and ended up with black screen. I thought I just messed up the BIOS chip which can be easily solved because I live 10 min from ASUS USA. So, I got new chip and still got black screen.

After some checking, I found it is cause by a toasted 1900XP (I did unlocked it but it was running stablely before the attemp on update BIOS).

Has anyone got a explanation on how in the world that CPU can be damaged by flashing BIOS? Any opinion will be appreciated!!!

MV99

Thanks for the input. Maybe the high voltage was the cause.

The thing confuses me is that I do use powerful HSF (Thermalright AX-7 with 80CFM delta very loud fan) and highly modified case with 8 fans. Fully load temp is always bellow 40C.

When the incident happened it was just a reboot after typical BIOS flash. I really dont think the temp of CPU at that moment was abnormal.

I guess I will just call this "cost of getting enjoyment of overclocking"...:)

MV99

I have tried it on other system. Actually CPU was the last thing I tested because I never thought CPU was toasted.

It was confirmed that CPU is history. The place I bought the CPU is trying to see if I can get a replacement...which I highly doubt. But I do appreciate their efforts. I have got new 2000XP running at this moment.

Thank you very much for your advice.

MV99

Back