• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tomshardware.com what gives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

okay before coming to this forum i really believed the things and reviews i read on THG, but i noticed that people here don't believe nearly anything which is on THG

I have now stopped going to the site but at times makes me wonder what actually is wrong with THG? can anyone be kind enough to please tell it to me?

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
They do very poor reviews, and misrepresent information so that the component (or whatever) they wish will "win" in a comparison test.

The only explanations for this are:
bias towards or against certain companies.
Reviews are for sale to the highest bidder.
Extreme stupidity.

I have read quite a bit of stuff there in the past- at one time it WAS a decent site. Times change though.

I feel as though my intelligence is being insulted when I even read a review over there now- or six months ago. I haven't been able to get myself to look at that site in quite some time.

subconcept

I find all of the reviews on toms hardware extremely tedius and repeitive. He/Them tends to ramble on keep saying the same thing over an over again, and they always seem to bring other pieces of hardware into the mix that arent being reviewed.

OP
baqai

baqai

so basically they will give good score to a product if they are paid?? that's bull**** :mad:

apart from forums and overclockers.com is there any other site which is still giving reviews based on facts ??

funnyperson1

the benchies themselves are ok as long as you dont read his analysis....i actually find his VGA charts quite helpful when arguing with some of my friends who have very strong convictions lol

OP
baqai

baqai

reddeathdrinker said:
The thing to do is not just check one review, but several.......

yeah that's what i normally do and my end decission is made up on discussions from forums, but you know it was wierd in start for me that people think that THG is crap i didn't knew (and thought) that such a site can be biased

THG is in trouble with intel? oooo!! that's a news to me :)

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
A fine example of the inaccuracies you can find there was his shootout between the Celeron Tualatin and Duron Morgan. The Duron smoked the Celeron in his test.....but....

The Duron was equipped with DDR DRAM! In almost every CPU-intensive test, as far as I remember, the Celeron won.

NBK19

AnAndTech.com Is the best Review site ever. My Opinion. Very up to date reviews. Accurate as can be. ;)

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
donny_paycheck said:
A fine example of the inaccuracies you can find there was his shootout between the Celeron Tualatin and Duron Morgan. The Duron smoked the Celeron in his test.....but....

The Duron was equipped with DDR DRAM! In almost every CPU-intensive test, as far as I remember, the Celeron won.
only up to 1gig then the fsb held it back (200mhz on duron)

William

Prodigal Son Moderator
The best was the swifttech one without a radiator fan. It almost beat the system with one :rolleyes:. Don't go there anymore. As for good reviews. It depends on what it is. For general peripherals(not video cards, cpus, memory, hard drives, or motheboards) Cnet/Zdnet is one of my first stops. They are very level on things like printers, pdas, and such. For motherboards and video cards, anandtech is the place I usually go to. The best though are the forums where you hear real users oppinions and very quickly find the pros and cos. For storage junk. storagereview.com is very good. And for cooling stuff, oc.com is the best I have found.

Disputant

I used to give them a lot of credit for their reviews and such, but I came to the realization that they are just sell outs. I go to Anandtech.com for reviews now.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
baqai said:
thanks a lot for your advice and the links ppl, i will avoid making decissions based on THG from now onwards
You should never base a decision on one source anyways unless that source is your past experience.

pauldriver

Tom’s is simply the most egregious example of what's wrong with hardware sites today. These sites started as regular Joe's sharing information, then the money started coming in and the EGOs began inflating.

Now, you get perfunctory overviews of a board, and no real qualitative information. Most of them are terrified that the gravy train to will stop, so they are never call something bad. Instead they *****foot around the issues, and give good reviews to products that have problems. Then they give excuses as to why this problem isn't really a problem, or call the problem a 'minor issue'.

Grrrrrrrrrr, Anand is getting as bad as Tom’s.

Paul.

P.S. I will have to admit that Tom’s apparently did a good job with their PSU article.