• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too Cool? (vs. Too Hot)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvblake22

Everyone knows that your cpu and mobo can get too hot, but can it get too cold??? I left my computer in a lower room in our house and it gets PRETTY cold in there, especially on the floor. I guess I'm just wondering if there is a temp that is so low that it damages the components in any way?

Oh yeah, I live in northern Michigan, thats why I ask...(USA)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

i'd say that you should be more concerned about your hd getting cold as opposed to your mobo and cpu (they can ahndle a lot more cooling than a hd can.

The only thing you would have to worry about is if it gets below 0 degrees Celcius. Reason for that is that the moisture in the air will freeze up around your system and we don't like water near or especially on the parts of our systems do we?

Well as long as there isn't any condensation (which you would only get if it was really cold and you took it into a warm place or let in warm air) you won't accidentally get it too cold, I have seen motherboards put into tubs of dielectric fluid and then people put in lots of dry ice. Then there is always Liquid Nitrogen onteh processor, that gets frost on the motherboard (it's coated in somthing so that the water doesn't short stuff out).

dorimon81, it isn't the freezing point of water that you have to watch out for it's just the dew point - ie. when the water starts to collect and condense, it can be higher than 0C, or lower.

Dont worry, if its not below freezing then you should be fine. Heh, kinda wierd that im saying this but, dont worry, your components will get hot.

Just using the example freezing in general. The moisture in the air and if the computer is below 0C, the moisture will condense up and freeze around the components. I've heard of it happening.

dorimon81 said:
Just using the example freezing in general. The moisture in the air and if the computer is below 0C, the moisture will condense up and freeze around the components. I've heard of it happening.

Ya I know, but only if you move it to a place where the air is warmer (and has a high enough moisture content), also it doesn't have to be below or at 0C in order for it to condense.

That's true. Condensation can occur when warm air is moved to a colder area or vice versa, but if the CPU is generating heat and the case temperature is lower, the air will most likely condense to form water droplets.

xanderjobizzle said:
i thinl that ur computer should be fine my question is how cold is it in ur basement?
-Xander
If he lives in upstate Michigan the proverbial witch's tit comes to mind...

Back