• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too much heat for a 120x3 radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zx2Slow

Central Pennsylvania/Southern New Hampshire
In a single loop I want to put:

1 BIX 320Radiator
2 Stock clocked EVGA GTX285's
1 OC'ed i7 920
1 Northbridge waterblock
2 DDC+'s in the dual XSPC head

The cards are currently not water cooled, Would the radiator handle this effectively? I have another triple rad but am not too keen on installing it because I purposefully built my machine to have a nice clean WC loop.

Conumdrum

Yep, you need more rad. Look up the heat charts for that rad. Your looking at about 250 watts for the CPU and 200 watts each on the GPUs. I'm a bit higher wattage than real world, but underrading is bad.

Use this chart and increase your wattage by 25% to compensate for the smaller rad.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/HWlabs480GTX-Review.html

Or use this one, it's a 360.
http://www.skinneelabs.com/Radiators/HWLabs/GTX360/GTX360.html

You can get by methinks with some Scythe Ultra 2800 fans, but Ohh the noise! If noise is an issue, add the second rad.

Last edited:
OP
Zx2Slow

Zx2Slow

Central Pennsylvania/Southern New Hampshire

That is the radiator I am currently using, I have three fans pulling outside air through it.

EDIT: Looking at those results it seems like I will just be getting by with the three fans I have now (Generic 2000RPM 120's). I can squeeze a 120mm rad into the mix between the CPU/NB and the GPU's without issues, hopefully that will get me the headroom I need.

Last edited:

Spawn-Inc

the video cards could take the extra heat but the cpu won't like it to much. i would be putting a second triple, at the very least double in there.