• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too much thermal paste or...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

six0r

Hi!
I had a MSI k7t pro2a, but i only had problems with it so I changed it for an abit kt7a and it rules. But with the MSI my cpu temp was 38-41 ([email protected]×104) and now it jumps from 30-44 ([email protected]×144 it falls to 30 in a minute when i stop playing q3). Is it because I overclocked it with FSB or can it be possible that I put on too much thermal paste? Cause I think i did:)

tnx!

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
It could be as simple as different thermistors under the CPU, assuming that is where you are getting your numbers from. Placement of those thermistors is also a critical factor in accuracy. Sorry to say, but unless you have calibrated your thermistor against an HSF with a thermal pickup in it, it's hard to say what you are really getting.
I recently retired my FOP-32 for a beefier HSF. Not having anything better to do with the FOP, I drilled it and installed a thermal sensor in it right over the CPU core. I then did an A/B against my thermistor in the socket base and adjusted the thermistor placement until it agreed with the on-core sensor. Though the thermistor lags and leads during up and down transition, once the temp stabilizes, it reads within .4C of the on-core sensor.
You can pick up reasonably accurate (+/- .1C) digital thermometers for around $15-$20. If you only have one HSF, it takes a little bravado to put it under the drill press, all the same ;D

Hoot

Nagorak

You can't really have too much thermal paste. It's an overclocking myth. If you put too much, it will just get squeezed out when you attach the heatsink. There's only so much room between the core and the heatsink, and anything that won't fit in there will be squeezed out by the pressure (especially on an AMD Heatsink with that super strong clip). I suspect not having enough thermal paste is the more common problem.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
I like Kats idea of a several small dots of AS on the core and let the squeeze disperse them.

Hoot