• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too much voltage or too much heat killed the cat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jcrew3002

Registered
I'm under the impression that motherboard supplied voltage settings cannot hurt the CPU as long as you have excellent cooling, ( I'm sure no motherboard wouldnlet you go to far on the voltage say something crazy like 30V, but it usualy has a fairly save cap maybe .3V or .5V over stock,) for example my mother board allows for a CPU voltage of up to 1.8V my amd phenom x4 955 is stock at 1.375V now let's say I bought a CPU chiller and my CPU is at -15C at full load so I overclock with stock voltage and I get to 4GHZ but can't go any higher unless I up the volts, so I do all the way up to 1.6V or higher, will the volts itself kill the CPU or would any resulting heat, if any, kill it? Again I'm under the impression that real thing that kills CPUs is the resulting heat from too much voltage not the voltage itself...

ArchEnemy

Registered
Well if you add more voltage to the cpu the electrons will more likely migrate (tunnel), and the cpu will physically suffer from it. So yes, alot of voltage will kill a cpu on longterm.

The cpu will just need more and more voltage to keep running at the same clocks, till the moment it won't even run at stock with pushing the voltage like crazy.

Dooms101

Well, most AMD cpu's lives will heavily degrade above 1.45v... But hardly anyone keeps there system at max OC. It's more like a push-my-system-to-the-extreme-for-like-10-minutes-just-to-cpuz-validate-or-benchmark kinda thing. However, most CPU's will go to a very respectable OC at the 1.35v - 1.45v range and will be very safe there for a while. But if you really just want to see how far she'll go, it wont 'kill' it if you to like 1.6v (I've seen reviews going to 1.83v to hit ~7.05ghz lol -google it) I just wouldn't keep it there 24/7... there's an excellent PhenomII guide written by Dolk here that'll tell you everything you need to know.

Psykoikonov

The Phenom II 955BE C2 is rated for a maximum of 1.5V, and 62C. That said if you can keep the temps down then more voltage can probably be supplied without damage.
At -15C (full load temp) my guess is somewhere <1.6V would not be cause for concern, however anything over 1.5V regardless is cause for *insert disclaimer here*.
Most motherboards do supply enough voltage to permanently damage a CPU, 1.8v on a stock cooler will probably make short work of a Phenom II.
I've not seen any Phenoms hitting anywhere near 7Ghz without extreme cold in fact most will only make >6.0Ghz on LN2 or LHe.

Dooms101

Lol well obviously the 1.83v 7.05ghz I mentioned was cooled LN2... I didn't mean to make it look like I was implying anything stock could do this. Sorry for the confusion

e6600

under 1.5v is fine 24/7 if you have adequate cooling
over time the volts will kill the cpu, not the heat