• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too much voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Milkman

I would like to get my Xp1800+ stable at 1800mhz,right now I am at 2.2 volts @1793 and temps are fine 35c at idle and max of 40c running prime 95. My question is,is it ok to increase voltage beyond 2.2v and if so how far can I go without damage to the chip?

Are you willing to risk your cpu for 7 more mhz ? I think you are already way past my comfort point with 2.2 volts. Keep in mind that you can destroy your cpu with a too high voltage even though the temps are ok.

Not worth it, as mentioned 7mhz.

Running it at 2.2v is risky enough. Sometimes people go too far with overclocking and do so much for minimal gain. hdj is also correct. Just because your system is cool at high voltages doesn't mean it'll last long. It's like volts of electricity are going through you, it may seem fine, but you'll die very fast.

Yodums

yea man, with that high voltage, you are shorten your cpu life very fast, not like from 10 yrs to 5 yrs, but to months may be...try to stay under or around 2.0v...how high is your FSB? it may be better to push your FSB and lower your muiltipler, higher clock speeds doesn't means high performance!!!:D

I was thinking of increasing to 2.06. But really, I don't have the best equipment out there and an endless money supply. 1.97 should be enough. At this moment I'm at 11x156, 36c under seti.

No pain no gain... I say push it a few more volts... and if you blow ur chip I will sell you mine ;)

Back