• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Took off my intel heat spreader !!! it rocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
why do they put the heatspreaders on in the first place if they perform better without it? you think this would cut down on manufacturing costs too :rolleyes:

this is so cool!

I am at 3650mhz 1:1 ratio
and totally stable. I couldnt even get 3550mhz stable last time.
I just played about 10 min of quake with all bots running on this one level. I used to lock out or reboot at this level before when i was at 3550mhz . I think the chip is stuck though at 3750mhz for real. I am going to let my acrtic silver 5 settle in for a few days and try for more. Probbly 3675mhz or faster timmings.
its quite amazing im back to 37c idle in windoctor and it doesnt go past 41c full load. For some reason though this chip aint going any higher unless its vaporchilled . Im using koolance cpu gold 200. Oh yeah it took forever for the freaken heatspreader to come off. I though i almost screwed it up since the computer wouldnt boot. I saw some acrtic silver 5 on the mobo and took it off . still didnt work .. so i was like crap the dam northbridge is full of this crap so i use some acrtic creamique. I still am using acrtic silver 5 for the cpu though

its so cool

shortbus_ said:
why do they put the heatspreaders on in the first place if they perform better without it? you think this would cut down on manufacturing costs too :rolleyes:

To protect the core for being crack, like the AMD cores. Intel doesn't want any RMA's, so this is their insurance policy... Also intel claims it's supposed to keep the core cooler.

Oh yeah i wouldnt use a razor blade to take it off if your thinking about it.

I used dental floss and some very tiny flat heat screw drivers.. like the one you would tighten screws for your glasses. I also use a small pin

Very risky

i couldnt believe how shiny the core was when i took off the heatspreader.
well right now im at 35c idle at 3650mhz and i have one case fan running which i will probbly disconnect soon after more testing to see if i dont need it.
system temps is 30c

Im really not looking to get any higher but i still need to reinstall windows xp and load up some new ATI drivers for my radeon . Before i was using a geforce 3 ti 200 and the video drivers are screwed in the registry. So after that is done i will continue testing and probby overclock the Radeon XT.

This computer should keep me happy till about june 2004

My computer is stable at 3650mhz

just played quake 3 with all bots for like 15 min. I must say this is incredible. I am going for tighter timmings now and more testing later this evening.
idle 36c
full load 40c

no case fans

northbridge fan
OTES Fan
Radeon 9800xt fan

later

Dental floss huh? :D

Nice job UnrealCpu. :)

Another reason intel uses the IHS is because it acts as a mini heatsink in an emergency situation. If you forget to mount a heatsink, or it falls off somehow, the IHS prevents the die temperature from rising too fast, and allows the chip's thermal protection mechanism to kick in and throttle down the processor.

Just a word of warning to anyone planning on doing this to a P4 that will be cooled with a Prometeia: removing the IHS prevents the cooling head from being able to contact the CPU; the mounting plate that comes in the intel cpu kit acts as a type of shim for P4s with the IHS still on them.

Oh yeah, and don't try this on a new MO stepping CPU either. ;) Removing the IHS on one of them is going to be a little less than fun.

tio said:
Oh yeah, and don't try this on a new MO stepping CPU either. ;) Removing the IHS on one of them is going to be a little less than fun.

arent they soldered on?

Yeah, something like that. They could be soldered on. I've even read somewhere that they are bonded to the core with some kind of insanely sticky thermal tape. I can't say for sure though. All I know is that you're taking a big chance if you try to remove an MO's IHS.

Hi im back

Well im back from installing windows xp and most of my drivers at 3650mhz and no problems what so ever. Stable as a ROCK.

I am loving this! I guess you pretty much hit a wall at 3750mhz . I believe to go higher than that you need to be at least getting chilled by water or prometia. Which mean you need to be at least 20's C range at idle before you atempt to do higher than what im at. Later on tonight i am going to open my window to my office and get it nice and chilly to see if i can get into windows at 3800mhz .

UnrealCpu said:
My computer is stable at 3650mhz

just played quake 3 with all bots for like 15 min. I must say this is incredible. I am going for tighter timmings now and more testing later this evening.
idle 36c
full load 40c

no case fans

northbridge fan
OTES Fan
Radeon 9800xt fan

later

I wouldn't call 15 minutes stable. On my old 2.6 I could play Wolf ET for about 30-40 minutes before disaster struck.

Any interest in running Prime95 for us?

hey, congrats to your happy fun.
i have removing ihs from my sl6rz and from tualatins too with good results on cooling.
the procedure is a also a nerves-kick. :D

Back