• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tool for Cutting Fan Holes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Da Whip

Sunny Florida, you can keep the midwest!!
I am in the middle of building my new PC and was trying to figure the best way to cut holes for the 6 fans. I have read about hole saws(very pricey) and Dremel tool, when I remembered the new power tool I got for X-mas.

I got a Rotozip Spiral Saw w/ a circle cutter for home improvement. This saw is way too cool. It took me a couple of practice cuts on boxes and wood to get the technique down, but it only took about 2 minutes to cut a perfect hole for a 120mm case fan. It is very smooth edged and only took a short time to make it look like the case came that way.

Thought I would throw this bit of info out for others to share.

cool man ...i was thinking about dremel vs. hole saw and i though ahh hell i'll just get a hole saw but how clean and percise were the cuts....no problems? if not i know what im getting my dad for his next birthday present.

Da Whip, did you use the carbide cutting bit or the spiral bit? I have the Roto Zip but need to get the circle cutting attachment.

I tried using the bits that came with the Rotozip, but they are real easy to break since they are only 1/8" bits. I found these 1/4" saw drill bits at Home Depot for around $6.00 and they seem to be able to take the abuse.

One more piece of info, I was looking to buy some crome fan grills and was not able to find them locally. Some of the prices online are OK, but w/ shippimg it is not cheap. I found a supplier we use at work and checked out the catalog. I got 4-120mm, 1-92mm and 1-80mm crome grill delivered for under $13.00. The website is www.mcmaster.com.

I use a Dremel. Awesome little tool! I used it to make my whole case out of 1/4 " plexy glass a while back. Also used it to cut many fan holes as well as holes for switches and lites as well.

To cut holes for 80mm fans I used a jigsaw with a 32 TPI blade -- the finest I could get. I then finished the holes with a 2.5" circular stone mounted in a variable speed drill. This gave a very even, polished edge.

I used a plasma cutter to cut my holes...but i suppose that not everyone has access to one of these...

Back