• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tooth Paste Any Good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pikachu_Mommy

Disabled
Hey ya is tooth paste any good for phase change CPU cooling? Has anyone tried tooth paste and got good result? how long does it last?

sandman001

Just Freeze It
No, it's isn't any good for thermal transfer.

Try some Shin Etsu thermal pasts or AS ceramique.

Pollux

on another note, would it be alright for me to brush my teeth with Arctic Silver Ceramique?

Korndog

Pollux said:
on another note, would it be alright for me to brush my teeth with Arctic Silver Ceramique?

probably won't make ur teeth whiter, but it'll make your braces more thermal conductive :D

OP
Pikachu_Mommy

Pikachu_Mommy

Disabled
Alright boyz...

Has anyone *actually* tried tooth paste for supercooling/ phase change cooling? I heard some people have used that method and worked pretty impressively... even outperformed some of the thermal compound.. That is why I'm talking about it. I need some experienced hard overclockers here..

sandman001

Just Freeze It
I haven't, because I doubt toothpaste has very good thermal properties, and it probably has more to do that it didn't crystalize at super cold temps like AS3 will.

But, now we have Ceramique and Other thermal Pastes.

CamH

Toothpaste is more thermally conductive than any of the stuff we use. The problem with it is that there's water in it. When the water in the toothpaste dries up, it goes to hell and doesn't do much for thermal conductivity.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
There are two most important qualities of a thermal interface material. One is performance. One is endurance.

Like has already been mentioned, toothpaste is a poor option for a thermal interface material. The water in the paste will evaporate leaving behind poor contact and higher temps... But at first toothpaste gives the illusion of better performance. But over time, endurance is very poor.

I found these with the search function, but I know there are a lot more threads out there also if you want to read more:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224135&highlight=toothpaste
http://forum.oc-forums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226879&highlight=toothpaste

OP
Pikachu_Mommy

Pikachu_Mommy

Disabled
CamH said:
Toothpaste is more thermally conductive than any of the stuff we use. The problem with it is that there's water in it. When the water in the toothpaste dries up, it goes to hell and doesn't do much for thermal conductivity.
thattttttt's.... what I thought. I head something like that about it. I knew the thermal transference is very good.

Thankx for the url, IMOG...

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
ookabooka said:
so if we evaporate the water out (distill), we could put some sort of oil in it and it would work? Has anyone tried things like olive oil or crisco?

Um, I think you are missing the point - it's the water and it's evaporation that gives the paste the illusion of good performance.

Replaceing the water with oil will not give the desired results - the components of toothpaste besides water are not fit for the TIM joint either. Their thermal conductivity characteristics and durability under TIM joint temperatures are no good compared to the components in thermal paste.

There is no practical application of tooth paste in the TIM joint.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Pollux said:

Would it work on cold sores?:p

FizzledFiend

LOL I use toothpaste as my final polish compound when lapping...use the back of my 2000 grit paper and toothpaste finalize my lap jobs...never said nothing cause it's just something I figured couldn't hurt :)

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
FizzledFiend said:
LOL I use toothpaste as my final polish compound when lapping...use the back of my 2000 grit paper and toothpaste finalize my lap jobs...never said nothing cause it's just something I figured couldn't hurt :)

It likely leaves a residue that can't easily be completely removed.

Seeing as how it isn't necessary, I would avoid it.

sramjones

Disabled
i asked my mom shes a dentist she says no it is made to not transferheat from egupment to our mouths or and its not conductive at all

Glaze132

I don't know the exact reasoning why ice evaporates over time. Which is what most likely would happen even with the phase change systems and the toothpaste. If you want to test what I am saying I am pretty sure you could take an ice cube and put it in a bag and leave it in the freezer for a couple of months and you should see that it has become smaller. Again I have no idea why this happens.