• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tooth Paste Any Good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When a substance skips phases, like going from a solid to a gas, it is called sublimation I believe. I think dry ice sublimates. I'm pretty sure regular ice does not.

The problem with water at sub zero temps is not evaporation, it's freezing. Ice transfers heat worse than water does, and it will effect the quality of the TIM joint making it less consistent.

Glaze132 said:
I don't know the exact reasoning why ice evaporates over time. Which is what most likely would happen even with the phase change systems and the toothpaste. If you want to test what I am saying I am pretty sure you could take an ice cube and put it in a bag and leave it in the freezer for a couple of months and you should see that it has become smaller. Again I have no idea why this happens.
Maybe your hands just got bigger. :D

What's your point?

You can't achieve absolute zero. Also, I should have said earlier that I think dry ice sublimates at room temperature.

There has to be some part of space that is so totally removed from any heat source that all heat is diffused to nothing by the time it reaches that point.

FizzledFiend said:
like the darkside of a dead planet maybe?

No, because there are still other stars visible which would mean that there would still be energy.

It's scientifically impossible to create absolute zero due to the third law of thermodynamics... But the coldest place in our solar system is one of Neptune's moons, Triton.

There is no place in space that is at absolute zero - space is filled with infrared radiation at 2.73K, which some scientists believe is left over from the big bang. This is the lowest natural temperature in existence.

The coldest temperature achievable through science at this point is done through the manipulation of magnetic atoms. The lowest temperature ever achieved is .0000000020 K.

SO WHATS THE GOD DAMNED POINT IMOG?

Until we can get magnetic atoms to function binarily, we can't get our processors as cold as we might like. :)

IMOG said:
When a substance skips phases, like going from a solid to a gas, it is called sublimation I believe. I think dry ice sublimates. I'm pretty sure regular ice does not.

H2O ice will sublimate at temps below it's freezing point ... apparently still enough energy for the molecules on the ice surface to still wanna "jump ship" to the atmosphere, albeit much more slowly than evaporating from liquid. Just check out how your ice cubes shrink over time in the freezer, even with the defrost mode turned off.

KK

People I work with think I'm just totally nuts for overclocking computers. On different occasions we chat about other things you name it and we've probably talked about it. Sometimes topics are so off the wall but for some reason I know about them, they always seem to ask the question how in the heck do you know about that? My blanket answer is from trying to achieve the last little OC out of a cpu, a video card, memory.

Anyways its because you never know where a thread will take you and what you might learn. Just for instance
It's scientifically impossible to create absolute zero due to the third law of thermodynamics... But the coldest place in our solar system is one of Neptune's moons, Triton.
this should make for a good bit of trivia.

Ice evaporates the same reason liquid water does - the particles are constantly moving (at a slower rate with ice, but there is movement nonetheless). If you notice that it's evaporating fast in your freezer, look for the fan - you are probably setting the ice trays too close to it :D

Why does a CPU OC better at lower temps? I mean if the CPU get unstable at ~ 60*C then if you could just keep it there, then wouldn't it do the same OCs as -40*C?

This thread is a perfect example for the reason of me taking a physics class as apossed to a chem class :p

Electrical circuitry works better at lower temperatures. There was just a thread I participated in not that long ago trying to answer that more exactly, I think it basically has to do with lower resistance at lower temperature so electricity is conducted better and circuits operate more efficiently.

Hmph, I thought copper had some superconductive properties at ultra low temps... And I don't see any phase changers complaining about any overclocking problems. ;)

i really need to read some posts like these LOL quite interesting ima throw my 2 cents in though :p

as for tooth paste no tried it suxed after a week :p (not me personally a friend and its a pain to clean up after its dried out)

2nd u were almost exact on the lowest temp but i consulted my physics prof in my physcis class at SLU and theres a swedish research lab that has actually obtained 0.0000000013K which in my opinion is too damn cold anyways

3rd out of curiosity i tested the conductivity of copper at low temps (thx to my uncle and his canister of liquid nitrogen used for cooling engine blocks at races b/c motors run better cold) we connected a 12v battery to 1 end of a 1ft piece of copper tube and a volt meter to the other 1 and guess what the liquid nitrogen dipped copper tube conducted it perfectly so we know copper conducts electricity at -150+*C (the container says -196 but i dont know if thats right or not but its so much fun to play with we shattered the tube afterwards LOL)

lastly i found out doing some research that copper actually conducts electricity better the colder it gets :p just thought that would be a nice tip to add in :p

yes i was board that day yes we did play with liquid nitrogen yes my uncle is a dumbass and decided to see what it would do to his hand (he knew what it would do to metal but wanted to know what happened with contact with human flesh) yes we do race for a hobby no we dont race cars we race gocarts and u can laugh at us when u get clocked going down the back strait of datona doing 155mph (worse part bout that was i was getting passed :p)

i know i rambled on but aah well its 2:09 here and im slightly tired and dont remember half of what i said :p
gn all and gl with the ocing

Mestra

edited forgot a 0 in the temp recounted them on my paper and on there and i was 1 short LOL

Back