• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

top 1%, yay for me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

katelin

I've reached my long sought after goal! I will be shutting down my farm after the race. :)

Argh...what's this rule about pic attachment only 300x300. That's a really dumb rule. What can you get at 300x300...sorry.

FRANK

Congratulations.

Sorry to hear you're leaving, I am going to retire as well. Once I hit 500WUs, no maybe 1000WUs, naw, I'll stick it out to 5000WUs..................Yeah, I'll quit when they pry my cold dead fingers from this keyboard!

Why don't you stick it out until the end of this phase anyhow.

Give it a thought.

Good Luck!

FRANK

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Congrats on the Milestone!!!!

I hope you change your mind about shutting your Farm down after the race- we need every wu we can get- and you contribute plenty!

Personally, I plan on crunching until ET comes to my house and turns off my computer:D

racecar12

Great job katlin:cool: I have a goal where I am going to stop also. Same vow I said at my wedding. Till death do us part:D

DeltaSierra

If you thought the thrill of reaching the top 1% was great (BTW...congratulations!), wait till you reach the top 1/2%...now that's exciting. Come on...give it a try and see for yourself. LOL

Yodums

Congratulations on the top 1%! :clap: You may do as you please but just to warn you ahead of time, no one leaves the Overclockers.com SETI Team! LOL!

Cy

A big congratulations to you Katelin! :)

As was mentioned it sure would be nice to finish out phase one of [email protected] or work towards the top 1/2% but if you need to shut down the pharm for some reason i know we will all respect your decision. :)

Cy

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
congrats onto the top 1% Katelin!!! :clap: :clap:

but why shuting down the farm? aren't you feel the heat from behind??

everyone should learn from me and hallen as we've set a very very good example of the meaning of Pushing!!! ;) :D

OP
K

katelin

Thanks guys. I don't know, I just seem to lose interest in SETI. It started out great and I really thought that it's a great project. I still think it's a great DC project, but that's about it. As far as it's practicality in finding Extraterrestrial signals, I'm not so sure anymore. Look at amount of WUs completed world wide. And there's no one close to even finding anything. Maybe SETI2 will give the project a different angle. We'll have to wait and see. I'll keep my PCs running as much as I could. But I don't have the motivation to build additional computers for the sake of running SETI anymore. Maybe I'm just going through a slump. I don't know. I'll try not to let you guys down.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
Well, first off congratulations on hitting 1% Katelin!! That's an awesome achievement since it keeps taking more and more WUs to move up those last hundreths of percents. :D :bday:

Well, if you are going to stop crunching, I hope you go over to Folding at least for a little while so you can report back how it's like since we're all going there for a little while. :)

JigPu

Cy

My one and only true love will always be SETI but as your interests wax and wan you might find you enjoy other DC projects as well. One of the greatest things about the new world of DC is just that...Distributed Computing. Its a whole new way of working together and getting things done with all this crazy new hardware we all have. Even the big players are getting into it with stuff like "Grid Computing" projects.

Good luck and hopefully you will hang around the forums (maybe keep just one machine running SETI). :)

Cy

Yodums

katelin said:
Thanks guys. I don't know, I just seem to lose interest in SETI. It started out great and I really thought that it's a great project. I still think it's a great DC project, but that's about it. As far as it's practicality in finding Extraterrestrial signals, I'm not so sure anymore. Look at amount of WUs completed world wide. And there's no one close to even finding anything. Maybe SETI2 will give the project a different angle. We'll have to wait and see. I'll keep my PCs running as much as I could. But I don't have the motivation to build additional computers for the sake of running SETI anymore. Maybe I'm just going through a slump. I don't know. I'll try not to let you guys down.

Isn't that the point of science.. Experiment ;) Things take time :D

KenCo

Congrats on the top 1%! ;)

I understand where you're coming from about losing interest. I'm somewhat in awe of people who can maintain enthusiasm for a single thing for more than a couple of months at a time. ;)
But I suspect it's just a matter of needing a little time away from the routine on a daily basis.

What you could perhaps do (if I may ;)) is just fill up a seti folder with 150 units (that's about how many WU's SETIdriver will accept without choking) and then just set your computers crunching and forget about them. It should take about 3 weeks for a pretty fast computer to get through 150 WU's. Then, as lady like as possible, do a massive dump. ;)

Good luck whatever you decide.

edit:

KenCo said:
I'm somewhat in awe of people who can maintain enthusiasm for a single thing for more than a couple of months at a time. ;)

Just in case that sounded worse than I meant it, I have been happily married for almost 17 years! ;)

Last edited: