• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top 20 Best Programs....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
10. Windows XP Pro SP1
9. Folding @ Home
8. Half Life
7. GTA3
6. Quake 3 Arena
5. Audio Catalyst Ripping at 32X and encoding in VBR! (Normal-High Quality)
4. Adobe Photoshop 7.0
3. Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7.02
2. Winamp WITH Wowthing DSP Plugin
1. KaZaA Lite

Theres some of the ones i like, i noticed a lot of people like the Quintessential player so thought id give it a go and its brill!

1. Kazaa lite
2. Trillian
3. edonkey 2000
4. Phoenix Browser
5. Windows XP Pro
6. Fantom CD
7. Daemon Tools
8. Winiso
9. Nero
10. Clone CD
11. GTA3
12. Tony Hawks 3
13. MBM 5
14. DVD2SVCD
15. Newsshark
16. Mirc
17. The All-Seeing Eye
18. Power DVD XP
19. Photoshop 7.0
20. Paintshop Pro

Here's what I got on my computer:

MS Office XP PRO
FlashFXP Build 905
Norton System Works 2003
mIRC 6.03
Paintshop 7.04 + Animation 3.04
PowerDVD 4.0 XP
WinRAR

On WinXP Pro

Rich_T

win98
winxp
clone cd
nero
fireburner
sandra
3dmark 2001se
aim
wordweb (dictionary/thesaurus)
word 2002
pop up stopper
quicktime
edonkey 2000 :)
edonkeybot
kazaalite
powerdvd
divx player :p
winrar
diskeeper (automatic defragmenter)
internet explorer
printshop
paintshop pro
alcohol 120% (VERY good cd/dvd emulator and burner)
norton antivirus 2003
Show Desktop :D

Very good thread here guys. I've learned about a lot of great programs from here. Keep it going.
By the way, what's "mbm"?

surprised no-one said IrFanView... great little graphics editing program. i use it all the time.

Stylexp
IrFanView
MobyDock
Trillian
MyIE2
QCD 3.0
WS_FTP

there are others... those are the ones i use alot though.

mbm= motherboard monitor

Fireworks MX, I love it...
photoshop 6/7
dreamweaver MX
ut2003
stronghold
HL
HL mods: flf, tfc, cs, dod, ns, fa
XP pro
samurize
ad aware
(no particular order BTW)
those are the proggies i use on a regular basis

F@H -best burn-in ever!
myie
gimp- for windows
mbm
sandra 2003
3dmark2001se
diskkeeper lite
msconfig-mabey not a program but gets heavily used
zonealarm
adaware
98se-or any windows that doesnt need activated

Let's see,

favorit programs:

linux box (console)
pine
joe
lynx
psql
fah

linux (gui)
open office
mozilla
? I haven't used the GUI much...

windows (at work )
MS IE (nothing else seems to be able to break through the firewall)
Delphi 5 pro (soon to be Delphi Studio, when I find the rest of the components I need to upgrade)
MS Visual Interdev
textpad
Word
outlook 2k
outlook express (keep my private accounts seperate)
PaintShop Pro
FAH
EMIII
SSH console
ISQL
SQL Enterprise Manager
MS Terminal Client
WSFTP LE
WinRAR

windows (at home)
FAH
EMIII
Mozilla
Nero
Photoshop
Paintshop Pro
Visual interdev
SSH consol
Winamp
winRAR

The best program I have is a batchfile I wrote that refreshes the IP info on my router at home.

PAN - a newsreader for gnome
GRIP - A CD ripper / player for gnome
Gnome 2.0
Mplayer
Micro$oft RalliSport
Netscape 7.0 <- gotta love that tabbed browsing
Sysoft SANDRA
AdAware
Norton SystemWorks

Thats about it for me.

Well. lets see...

3DMk2001SE
Ad-Aware
Adobe Acrobat 4.0
Adobe Photoshop 6.0
Capture Eze Pro
EMIII
Folding@Home 3.11
JustCAD
MBM5
Memory + CPU Observer v2.3
MS Works for Windows
NTI CD Maker 2000
NTI Drive Backup
Panda Anti-virus 6.0
Paint Shop Pro 7
PowerStrip
QuickTime for Windows
SiSoft Sandra 2002 Std.
WinXP Pro
WinZip

LOL, I was tricked by you people.
"Kazaa Lite" "kazaa Lite" 'kazaa Lite", "regular Kazaa must die", etc.....

I thought that's something better than Kazaa, so I just downloaded an installed it, no difference at all and as I transfered all the files, all the names for my video and mp3 changed to the same as file name.........it will take me a full day to change those things back

anyway, once I did the same thing, why that didn't happen? Is there some kind of trick to transfer those file without change the name you give to them?

also, so many of you mentioned WinDVD, but what version?

I noticed WinDVD 4.0 is WAY BETTER than the old versions, in the term of COOL sound effect.
Those WinDVD come with your video card are always the old versions, usually WinDVD 2.0, you are lucky enough to get a WinDVD 3.1 already.

I have WinDVD 4.0 Plus, and before that I was using WinDVD 3.1 came with my Ti4200, and the change in the sound effect was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kazaa lite is the same as kazaa except it has no ads or spyware. It's best to do it this way:

Uninstall Kazaa.
Use Ad-aware to get rid of all spyware.
Install Kazaa Lite.
Enjoy the spyware-free sharing! :)

One thing I wasn't sure, if I uninstall Kazaa first, will it also delete all my files in the shared folder? I am not sure about that due to it says "are you sure you want to uninstall kazaa and ALL its .......". So I didn't want to risk it......that's about 45GB of my treasure:), then I just installed Kazaa lite, and transfered all the files to the new place from kazaa.....then I found all the file names were changed, I mean the name I gave to those files change to the same as "File Name". Besides the Kazaa lite installed under a different folder as Kazaa, so I have to transfer.

Alright, instead of just listing the programs I like best I thought I would say why so some of them might help a few of you out. In no particular order...

Diskeeper 7
This is probably the most widely acclaimed third party defragmenting program. The defragmenter in Windows 2000 and Windows XP is actually a modified version of the lite edition of diskeeper. The full edition defragments much faster than anything built into windows, and seems to do a good job.

Winace 2.2
Winace and winrar both stand head and shoulders above winzip. One is just as good as the other for functionality but I prefer winace due to its more elegant interface. Oni, if your talking about it not being able to extract winrar 3 files, that functionality has been added with version 2.2

NERO Burning ROM 5.x
This is by far the best overall burning software available. It frequently gets updated with new features and bug fixes. For some burning jobs, other programs are better (Fireburner for CD image burning for instance) but no burning program does as much as NERO does.

WinMX 3.xx
If it’s been a while since you've used WinMX try it again. Before the version 3 update you had to totally baby-sit your downloads since there was no auto find sources or multi downloads. Now there are both. You get better / more search results than with Kazaa and the official version comes with no ads or spyware right out of the 'box'!

Exact Audio Copy
The best audio CD ripping program available. It is highly configurable and has a nifty secure ripping mode that can find the truth among whatever multitude of scratches you've inflicted on your CDs.

LAME mp3 encoder
Not really a program, but when used in concert with Exact Audio Copy you'll be ripping CD's and encoding them to MP3 with the best of them. Death to the 128-bitrate MP3!

Folding@Home
This program gives you an excuse to buy the latest and greatest hardware and motivation behind those last few MHz you manage to get out of your CPU. Stanford, with the help of the folding community, is researching protein-folding simulations. It’s your chance to do something good for humanity. If you've ever know anybody that has had a un-preventable degenerative disease (I'd type a few out but I have no idea how to spell any of them) then this is something you should be doing.

Norton Antivirus 2002
The top dog in Antivirus, I'd be embarrassed to say how many times this program has stopped virus' from getting on my computer.

TMPGenc
Have a DivX or other kind of digital movie on your hard drive and you want to watch it on your standalone DVD player? This is a great tool for converting various formats of digital video into... well... other various formats of digital video. Including VCD & SVCD. This program is very useful if you don't like sitting in front of your 13" monitor for hours at a time.

Okay thats it, could keep going but I'm tired :)

Back