• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top and back radiators in a P180 - can it be done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buey

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster.

My question's a little more complicated than the subject line. I want to build a clean, quiet, watercooled gaming machine, and I'm interested in keeping all components inside the case. I've been looking at the dimensions of various radiators and cases, and I've been trying to figure out how some of these parts can fit together, but I just don't have the resources to find out for sure what'll work. That's where the experts here come in. :D

I like the P180B (though I'll probably wait for the P182). Here are a few options I'm considering for it:

1 - A Thermochill PA120.2 at the top, and a PA120.1 in the back. I think they're too thick to fit, but I could always put the fans on the top of the case in a nice black shroud, or I could simply go with a thinner rad on top.

2 - A PA160 at the top and a PA120.1 in the back. This could be a much sweeter looking option as it would potentially allow me to connect the 2 rads together with just an elbow pipe and some short fittings, essentially turning them into a single L-shaped radiator. The 160 would require at least a 140mm fan though, as there'd really be no room for the 120mm shroud and fan.

3 - 2 PA160s on top.

All options require some case-cutting, but that's not an issue. I'm planning on putting some hot parts into this thing (overclocked C2D, 680i, 8800GTX) so I'd rather not hear anyone use the word overkill in this thread.

Also, I do not want to put a radiator in the front. I plan on putting 4 hard drives into the bottom drive cage and the pump in the upper cage's spot.

So... what do you think would fit?

If you not putting pa160 in front of the case, then forget about it.

Pretty much you won't be able to mount radiator and fans internally in that case. Something will have to go outside fans, radiator or both.

Easiest way would be to drill holes in either top or back of the case and mount radiator outside in pa180.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=419172&page=2&highlight=antec+p180

Also are you planing to run sli setup? Since you pick sli board.

meionm said:
If you not putting pa160 in front of the case, then forget about it.

Are you certain a 160 can't fit up top? The case is wide enough, the only issue is the space between the motherboard and the top of the case.

meionm said:
Pretty much you won't be able to mount radiator and fans internally in that case. Something will have to go outside fans, radiator or both.

This guy managed to squeeze them both inside the case, but I'm not sure that'd work with a 680i board.

meionm said:
Easiest way would be to drill holes in either top or back of the case and mount radiator outside in pa180.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=419172&page=2&highlight=antec+p180

That's out of the question. I might consider putting the fans (in a shroud) outside the case since that would simply look like a longer version of the top fan cage that's already on there, but the rads will be inside.

meionm said:
Also are you planing to run sli setup? Since you pick sli board.

It's insurance. When I run into a game a single 8800GTX doesn't handle to my satisfaction, I'll buy another one. To get one now is unnecessary when my monitor won't be going higher than 1920X1200.

I have a Black ice pro3, and 3 fans installed internally at the top of my p180, so it can be done.

I dont know if a pa120.3 would work because it so much thicker.

Griff65 said:
The secret to this case is good cable management, i know mine looks like a bad day at a Spagetti factory, The link may provide you with a few ideas for your rads and shows just how clean an install you can make if you get cracking with the Dremil..

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135934

Post us some pics m8 :beer:

Thanks for the pics, they are helpful. No pics from me yet, since I haven't purchased any parts, but I did do a Google Sketchup of the PA160. Radiators are easy, so maybe I'll do a couple more from the Thermochill PA series.

I've made an attempt at doing a sketchup of the case, but I can't find any decent measurements on it, just the basic HxWxD. I'm tempted to just buy one and measure it myself, but if I do I'm committed to using it.

Maviryk said:
pic

BIP GT 240 in front, BIP GT 120 in rear.

That's very interesting, but I'm interested in putting something up top and something in the back.

Where's your PSU in that pic?

It's sitting on its side behind the reservior/pump at the bottom in the center of the case. Space behind it is for a sound baffle.

Many people have also cut holes at the top of the P180 to fit a tripple/double rad. You won't have room to fit a pair of single rads along with fans at the top/rear of the case.

Back