• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

top new 64 939 boards please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumbfish

what are the current top models so i can study up? i used to like abit.
looking mostly at the 939's.

dave_graham

erff...

DFI nForce 4 - SLI Expert (or something like that)
Asus A8N32-SLI (premium/deluxe, etc etc)

those are the two i know off the top of my head.

dave

Electric Bill

Registered
If you're gonna overclock then DFI is the way to go.
They have a plethora of Socket 939 from the $89 DFI nF4-DAGF to the $199 DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert.
With an Opteron 146 my $132 Ultra-D runs 2.9GHz (10x290) at stock Vcore and at 1.46v I'm running 3.0GHz.

rseven

I think that the better aboard is capable of overclocking the, more unstable it becomes. High overclocking is nothing more than a high wire act, one slip and it's all over. DFI boards OC the best , but one slip and your on the pavement. Many years ago a high wire artist rigged wire between the World Trade Center Towers and dazzled NYC with his brilliance. One false move and he would have been a pancake on the sidewalk. For the dedicated artist among us DFI is the board, but for the majority of us pancakes it's a wee bit too scary. I prefer the Epox because unlike the great high wire artist, I work best with a net.:)

Last edited:

Mr.Guvernment

DFI seems very "buggy" so to say, if you can get it to work awsome! it is a very great board...., if that is before it annoys the heck out of you and you toss it out the window!

Bob Vila

My Epox 9NPA+ SLi is doing quite well. I have no idea how to overclock and I am getting 2.5ghz with stock cooling on a Opty 144. When I actually learn how to overclock I most certainly will get higher. My ram will get better because I have yet to learn what a divider is and how it works. I kept looking for the word "divider" in bios.

From the time I opened the box until windows was installing was about 10 minutes. And that was because I forgot you have to clear CMOS. After a half hour I was at 2.5ghz. I'm looking at getting an XP-120 next week.

Christ, this overclocking thing is addicting.

dropadrop

Electric Bill said:
If you're gonna overclock then DFI is the way to go.
They have a plethora of Socket 939 from the $89 DFI nF4-DAGF to the $199 DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert.
With an Opteron 146 my $132 Ultra-D runs 2.9GHz (10x290) at stock Vcore and at 1.46v I'm running 3.0GHz.

If you are going to overclock? You mean no other boards allow overclocking?

Fact is, if you want to tweak your system as far as possible, then the DFI is the way to go. If you want to reach within 5-10% of the overclock with 90% less work then you go for something like the Asus A8N32.

Both are good boards, it's just a question of what you are looking for.

Personally I'd rather go for the Asus, as I'm not trying to break any records, rather find the "sweet spot" of my processor and ram with as little work as possible, and then use my computer for all the tasks I need it for. I do enjoy overclocking, but for my main intrest lies in the gained performance, not the tweaking itself.

Son1990

Mr.Guvernment said:
DFI seems very "buggy" so to say, if you can get it to work awsome! it is a very great board...., if that is before it annoys the heck out of you and you toss it out the window!

I agree to some extent. Dfi rushes oskar to make the boards quickley and get them out onto the market as soon as possible. By rushing Oskar there are bugs and little glitches that are overlooked. However, after the boards are out on the market for a while all probloms are finnaly fixed and when it comes to overclocking they are the best boards for tweaking and getting a 100% oc.

All the boards before the expert are now perfect for everything has been fixed and you will never have a problom with those, but with the expert, its gonna take a while before they fix the glitches, just like they had to do with all the "lower class" boards.

~Ken

Electric Bill

Registered
Of course you're correct dropadrop.
The A8N32 is a fine board and so is the 9NPA+.
I got caught up in the moment.

Funny thing though.
I built my DFI with the intention of using it as a lean, mean racing machine only. Kind of the king of my oc flock.
I knew, from my experience with the DFI nF2 boards how unreliable they could be so I didn't want to entrust anything important to it.
I also had a Soyo KT600+ - plain jane VIA board that I used for business, e-mail, AutoCad, photo editing, web design, - you know - all the mundane things that we do to get by.
One day about 5 months ago my Soyo rolled over and died.
The logical choice then would have been to transfer the mundane duties to my EP-9NDA3 but I was using it for video editing/rendering and it was hooked up to my TV, VCR, Satellite receiver so I decided to temporarily use the DFI.
I had figured on building an Epox 8VTAI to replace the Soyo but it was a busy time of the year for my business (Marine Electrician) so that never happened.
Now the DFI has over 45 programs installed including AV and spy sweeper, 3 HDs, a DVD burner, floppy drive, 7800GT, all kinds of USB devices and I still do benchtesting and prime runs at 303MHz.
So my opinion of this board has changed drastically, hence my enthusiasm.

CCUABIDExORxDIE

DFI Lanparty rev.AD0 NF4/Ultra/SLI/-D(R) for the win. or the eXpert. DFI has by far made the best overclocking benching anything board out there, if and A8N32-SLI beat it, then youd see people over at XS using them instead of the DFI series.

rseven

Bob Vila said:
My ram will get better because I have yet to learn what a divider is and how it works. I kept looking for the word "divider" in bios.
In your bios you want to look for memory frequency under Power Bios Features. If you set it at 166 it's a 5:6 divider and 133 is the 2:3 divider. Have fun with your new addiction.:)

Rattle

Nathan0490 said:
a8n32-sli pwns the dfi expert IMHO....

Hehe all that without actually sitting down and extensivley testing them huh ?

I'll tell ya what, the DFI ultra-D for $125 owns them both :p