• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top Of Case Filter???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For a long time now I do not understand why case company's put a dust filer in the top of the case. I would say 80% or higher it is used for a rad 120mm 240mm 360mm or 420mm and its going to be pushing air out? If you ask me the front or the side should be intakes. But this is IMO. Take it with a grain of salt.;)

It's in my signature :cool:
Ok after looking at the case two fans in the bottom take air out the front air in the one in the back air out and the top out. This is just my 2cents take it with a grain of salt.:unsure:
Post magically merged:

Ok after looking at the case two fans in the bottom take air out the front air in the one in the back air out and the top out. This is just my 2cents take it with a grain of salt.:unsure:
It has a total of 9 fans. Or 4 in and 5 out, right?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 3
No. I have push/pull so my setup is like this:

8 fans top pulling in
2 fans front pulling in

4 fans bottom pulling out
2 fans rear pulling out
Did you see the pic I did in my last post? Ok I see how you are doing this.:cool: What brand of fan are you using?

For the 20% you mentioned...

...but there isnt a right or wrong per say, generally front and sides should be intake and top/rear = exhaust. Obviously if you run intake on the top it's best to have a dust filter up top. If not, lose it... not rocket science that they are not needed on the exhaust side.

Running like Neb does have benefits, like the rads getting the coolest air possible across the fins. However you're running warmer air inside the case so other things can see increased temperatures (motherboard, m.2, gpu) depending on airflow. For me, I dont care about a couple of degrees higher temps for what's in my loop to have cooler internal temps. To each their own in this case.

But yeah, remove the filter if it's in the way of your airflow (exhaust). Don't make things that are simple, complicated. ;)

Last edited:
I've always ran the fans on top of my cases as exhaust instead of intake, especially when running a radiator in the top space. I've tried running them as intakes but then I have an issue of airflow inside the case swirling around too much. Soon as I swap to exhaust I see noticeable drops in temps, even running a front and top radiator. The front on my stuff is always intake, top is always exhaust, unless there are only bottom mounted fans then those are the intake.

I've also ran push, pull, and push/pull configurations on radiators, both high fin density and low, and I def prefer running high static pressure fans in the push layout over the others. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't bench my systems like I used to.... xD

When I ran an AIO in my R4 it was intake. I would never exhaust through a rad if I cared about what it was cooling :)

If I were to use top fans, they would be intake :)

I have found things sometimes are not what they seem. I had this big CM mesh case. A real monster. It came with a 6 rack fan holder for the left mesh. So I pushed air in and then pulled air out. Then I pulled the whole thing out to see the difference. The GPU was 5C cooler with air blowing in. When I removed it completely the GPU went up the 5C but the CPU went down 10C...and ambient inside the case went down so I just left it off.

I wondered how they tested it. Oh I also changed the other fans accordingly to prevent a negative flow.

Back