• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Top Windows - Mod Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willlangford

Hey, I am going to put a top blow hole on my Lian-Li PC-65, it will be a 120 up from an 80. I was looking at a top window kit. And I was thinking what could I do for a mod to my DVD drive? I know of what i do for my PS, but the DVD I dont know.

thanks,

~Will

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
I dont think it would be a problem, as long as you leave the the top part of the cd holder. I assume the light doesnt interfere with the laser, or someone would have said so already.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
No, I dont think so if it does make a difference it would do the same to a CD-ROm right ? I'll try it with my CD-ROM and see if it makes a difference.. I'll post after im done doing it.

Ziggey

My blacklight cathode works fine with the cdrw in while its burning or sending data.

Inside:
DCP_0014a.jpg

Top:
CDRW%20windowUV.jpg

Xevuhtess7

ahh... we meet again ziggey..... nice drive mod... im thinking of doing that too, and putting a window in the top of my case to show it off.

Ziggey

Here is a pic of my top window, with the cdrw mounted in the top 5 1/4 bay. I matched the cdrw to the case using brass screws to hold the plexi in place. The entire case is black,gold/brass, and etched windows. Unfortunaly I won't be finished in time to post pics, because im going on a nice 6 month vacation to the middle east. Maybe I'll have enough done to give you a general idea of what it will look like once Im done.

Bombardiers view: (old version with LED)
Picture_0159a.jpg

Xevuhtess7

have fun on your vaca.... just dont get bombed. we'd hate to have to convert our cpu cycles spent folding into a memorial fund for a dear member's departure. :-D

Talon101

question, putting uv lights in a cd drive, wont that effect the laser's ability to read the cd... or at least diminish its capabilities?

Ziggey

Talon101 said:
question, putting uv lights in a cd drive, wont that effect the laser's ability to read the cd... or at least diminish its capabilities?

I have tested mine, and have found no probs burning at 24x with it on as seen below. I didn't have any better cdr's to burn at the time.

cd2a.jpg