• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torin3's 4P F@H build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I finally broke out the motherboard from the shipping box. Threads tapped for heat sinks. I'll be taking it in to work to make sure it is blown off well and there are no possible bits of metal from the tapping left on the board.

I will have it up and running or burned up by Black Friday.

Just in time to be an exercise in futility.

Though I might wind up putting a 970 on it and use it for CAM work. Just need to find a copy of Server 08 or 12.

Well, I finally broke out the motherboard from the shipping box. Threads tapped for heat sinks. I'll be taking it in to work to make sure it is blown off well and there are no possible bits of metal from the tapping left on the board.

I will have it up and running or burned up by Black Friday.

Just in time to be an exercise in futility.

Though I might wind up putting a 970 on it and use it for CAM work. Just need to find a copy of Server 08 or 12.

Sweet! I was going to post to see if you got 'er running :)

Ok, I would appreciate any crossed fingers that may want to point my way.

Motherboard is on the station. CPUs are in the sockets. I'm breaking the power supply out of the packaging. 3 HSF left to be mounted. I figure I'll be ready to fire it up in about 45 minutes.

Ok, I would appreciate any crossed fingers that may want to point my way.

Motherboard is on the station. CPUs are in the sockets. I'm breaking the power supply out of the packaging. 3 HSF left to be mounted. I figure I'll be ready to fire it up in about 45 minutes.

Let's do this man!
Best of luck :thup:

I'm sure you'll be fine though :)

Let's do this man!
Best of luck :thup:

I'm sure you'll be fine though :)

Just checking to see if the memory goes in the white or blue slots. And I don't remember where I put the networks switch so it can go online. I've got a backup one if I can't find it.

Just checking to see if the memory goes in the white or blue slots. And I don't remember where I put the networks switch so it can go online. I've got a backup one if I can't find it.

Worry about the interwebz after you know it's stable :)

I thought you had enough RAM for all the slots too?

Worry about the interwebz after you know it's stable :)

I thought you had enough RAM for all the slots too?

I want to make sure it can download a WU.

I've got enough RAM for 4GB per CPU, but that only fills out 4 of the 8 memory slots per CPU.

The fans come on, but no video. Time to check the manual to make sure I don't have a jumper in the wrong position.

Ok, after trying a few things and getting no video, I went to the 1 cpu, 1 memory stick and only the video plugged in. It did boot.

However, it looks like the hard drive I had the folding appliance installed on is now dead. I'm going to install the folding appliance on a USB stick. Then I'll test the other 3 CPUS one at a time in socket 2. Then I'll test the memory.

So, I'm probably done for the night, but I've got something to work on tomorrow.

Edit: Looks like it was a bad memory stick or two. Running all the memory on 2 CPUS and it won't boot. Running half the memory I find 1 memory stick reported as missing in the BIOS. I replaced it with a good one and I'm running memtest overnight. I'll run the rest of the memory tomorrow. With any luck it should be up tomorrow some time.

Once I've got it working, I've got a 40 gig SSD I can use for the OS.

Last edited:
:thup:
It lives! Awesome sauce, as Bobby would say :p

Wonder how the hard drive died though :-/

Not sure, though it is the same age of the other drive I had that died as well. 20GB first gen SATA.

I'm currently installing the folding appliance on the SSD.

For the RAM it turns out that of the 16 1GB sticks I had, 3 reported as dead when booting up, and 1 would prevent boot when it was installed. Of the remaining sticks 8 made it through 6 passes of Memtest, and 4 made it through at least 1.

So I'm going to grab another 4 from Ebay, but I'll start folding tonight.

All 4 CPUs seem to be fine.

I've got my fingers crossed, but it does seem to be working normally.

Now I just have to hope that Pande Group changes their mind on Bigadv.

:thup :thup:
Alright!!!!!!!!

Full steam ahead!
I'm so damn glad it worked out this time.
Months of delays and other carp sucked, but it was worth it I'd say, to see it folding again! :cool:

Well, the last time it died after 3 days. I'm going to give it a week before I consider it 'up for good'.

As opposed to last time, I'm not really seeing a lot of the same DDR3 ECC RAM I've been using. However, I'm seeing 4x4GB going for $35-50 on Ebay. I'm wondering if I should go for that a grabbing a set every week or two until I've got 16x4GB.

Edit: about 15 min TPF for an 8101. That should be just under 300K ppd.

Last edited:
Well, it's not 1GB but this is the cheapest 2GB ram stick I've seen out there
MemoryAmerica 2GB 1600MHZ DDR3

I'm going to be ordering 12 more of these as I have 4 already for 2nd 4P when I was testing to see if CPU1 socket was good after my mishap :)

Oh BTW if you order this, you will be asked to enter model and brand of MB, put H8QG6+-F as there was no listing for the H8QGi+-F.

Last edited:
Well, it's not 1GB but this is the cheapest 2GB ram stick I've seen out there
MemoryAmerica 2GB 1600MHZ DDR3

I'm going to be ordering 12 more of these as I have 4 already for 2nd 4P when I was testing to see if CPU1 socket was good after my mishap :)

Oh BTW if you order this, you will be asked to enter model and brand of MB, put H8QG6+-F as there was no listing for the H8QGi+-F.

Well, since I've now got an H8QG6+-F, I guess I'm in luck.

I'm wondering how well it will work to use the 12 GB I've got for 3 CPUs and a 4GB stick for the 4th?

Well, since I've now got an H8QG6+-F, I guess I'm in luck.

I'm wondering how well it will work to use the 12 GB I've got for 3 CPUs and a 4GB stick for the 4th?

Don't, what you do with 1 CPU you must do the same with all, like 4 sticks of ram for all or 1 stick for all.
I forgot you got the H8QG6+-F :)

I have used non-matching memory setups before. It does work, but at a slight performance hit.

Speaking of performance, the WU hit for 308,721 points. That is a little over 300K ppd. Which now that my 3 7870 cards are working right again, puts me in the ballpark of 450K ppd! Whoo-hoo!

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=276319

Now if I can just swing a 4TB hard drive from my mining funds, I'll be dropping the video card mining and able to add 7 280X/7970 cards and one more 7870 card to the fold.

fold.png

Back