• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Torn between 2 drives, your advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benscoobert

Today I decided to install win7 x64 as my vista has been on nearly 18 months and is getting very slow.

It turns out my old lite-on drive SH-16A7S is not win7 compatible and it has been playing up with writing for a while.

So I have decided to replace it tomorrow, my local supplier has 2 which i'm interested in, Sony 7240S-0B and LG GH22NS50, they both seem to be good drives. Price is 50p difference.

Any comments?

J-O_S-H

Yeah... as fire2havoc stated there is little difference in DVD drives nowadays.

They have passed their technological peak... just get whatever brand you prefer or which one matches you case color.

I would personally pick the SONY one... just because it's SONY... personal preference of brands.

Old Thrashbarg

The only real difference I can think of is in regards to noise. I don't know what the Sony drive is like, but the LiteOn drives are generally pretty loud.

More importantly, though, I find it extremely hard to believe your current drive is incompatible with Windows 7. Where'd you get that information?

OP
benscoobert

benscoobert

The only real difference I can think of is in regards to noise. I don't know what the Sony drive is like, but the LiteOn drives are generally pretty loud.

More importantly, though, I find it extremely hard to believe your current drive is incompatible with Windows 7. Where'd you get that information?

I got the sony this morning, £17, now the install works. I'd not have a lite-on again, it's never been 100 % right.

The win7 installer wouldn't run, after clicking start install it asked for cd/dvd drivers which I couldn't find.

Old Thrashbarg

Hm, must've been something wrong with your particular drive, then. LiteOn drives are generally pretty reliable, and the definitely don't require any specific drivers, but as with any hardware, occasionally you will get ahold of a lemon.