• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tornado LOLZORZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

austinbmxnig

out of curiosity i bought a Tornado today, i don't have a controller and sweet sassy molassy that thing could wake the dead. It ran about 5C cooler than my 56cfm thermaltake fan but definately not worth it, does a controller help that much? it seems silly to buy it and then just turn it down but does it have an optimal noise/cfm ratio? Im not really complaining because i knew it was going to be too loud. My prior thought were "how loud can it be" trust me...this mother screams

Vflux

the contoller will help a lot....i got 2x92mm tornado in my rig and they are barable at the lowest rpm on my nexus.....i can sleep better now.........lol...

tikki50

Registered
I agree I just hooked up my 92x38 119cfm Tornado on my cpu and this thing is LOUD. Quite unbearable actually, I need to mod it now for quieter performance.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a different fan? Id appreciate some other possibilities other than modding it right away. I heard the deltas are nice but do they have the CFM to match the tornado.

One other thing will a spacer help quite it down some too? I took off the wire guard and that helped quite it up some. I figured adding a 1" or so spacer between the fan and the heatsink might quite it up some.

Thanks

You might have to reply in all caps so I can hear you, LOL.

b0bby

definitely hook it up to a controller. smooth saling at 5-7v. barely audible. you'll be fine at that speed.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
I run a gutted 92mm x 25mm as a spacer on my SP-94 HS fan. Its the Delta 92mm, HHE..Without the spacer you could see the dead spot of the fans hub on the HS fins..After installing the spacer, its no longer there..See sig of rig for temps..:) It should help with the noise issue by theory..

tikki50

Registered
thanks Now I just need a dead 92 MM. Guess its up tothe old computer repair shop to dig through crap.
Can I get one of those resistors things from Radio shack?

Camacho111

I don't know what noise you guys are hearing. Hold a sec. Let me take my headphones off.....LOL

yeah 3k RPM is a good range. Keeps me at 44*c load during heavy gaming. Drops 6*C in 10minutes to idle temps.

loks

i couldnt buy a controller in time so i moded a potentiometer into my TORNADO and sped it up to about 7K rPM and literaly lost my hearing for about an hour or so!!! i am going to enroll myself into a TORNADO's Anonymous class. its so addictive. i want more!!!!

loks

tikki50 said:
thanks Now I just need a dead 92 MM. Guess its up tothe old computer repair shop to dig through crap.

yeah i bought a pack for about $2 bucks and change. they call them Potentiometers there.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN

The Radio Shacks in Houston,Texas don't carry a high enough watt rheostat to use on the Tornado...:) See post # 4 for the Tornado Tamer Rheostat..You need at least a 4 watt rheo..25 Ohm is a good number to shot for, or lower...Especialy for a heat sink fan..See guide links above for more details..:D

Camacho111

I have about 2 burnt radioshack pots that I tried on the Tornado. It got really hot and died in a week.

Do yourself a favor and get the RHE-15 from ALLelectronics.com. It will be the best $1.65 you ever spent.

Archilochus showed me the light!

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Do yourself a favor and get the RHE-15 from ALLelectronics.com. It will be the best $1.65 you ever spent.

Camacho111 , Everything still working good? :)

I bought 3 of them to help justify the shipping charges...They have all sorts of neat things there..If you get a rheo. from them, they sell the knobs too..:D

ZachM

If you want a temporary solution until you get a controller you can 7v mod it. Search for guides on the forums. I know there have been a few.

ZachM

Whoops...Skipped over that.;) Guess I got a little hasty with the reading.:p Don't forget the 5v mod. Lol. Had to make this post pertain to the subject somehow.