• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tornado on SP-94?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loks

I just bought the SP-94 and a Tornado. what kind of temps should i get? and will it cool enough for OC'ing?

veryhumid

Nice setup :) My BIOS update has totally buggered my temps. I see as low as 27 full load, lol. I recommend some Arctic Silver 5. It is an excellent choice for overclocking, In my opinion it is the best for air cooling. Before my BIOS update It performed better (lower on average by maybe 5C) than my Zalman copper 7000 and the swiftech mcx478 with the same sp-94 on it. But everyone's setup will be different. check out http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=118 for a comparison. The same website has some general reviews of the heatsink as well. Enjoy.

mtb856

Well at stock speeds, you'll probably see temps along the lines of high 30's or low 40's load and probably around 33°C idle if...

1) cables are routed and case fan grills are removed

2) lots of airflow in your case

3) you use AS5 on the HS

4) if you're room isn't the Mohave Desert... :D

It's dependent on case setup and temps.... if your case temps are high, your cpu temps will be high as well. With some work, you should be able to get around 38°C load. It also depends on if your mobo sensors are whacked too ;)

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
It will definitely cool enough for OC'ing..:) See sig of rig below...Do you have a controller for the Tornado or ear plugs.:D Let us know how your temps work out..

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

OP
loks

loks

dont have a controller and this thing is pretty loud but i dont notice it much because my Aspire Turbo case has already numbed me up alot. also my temps are still the same. no difference. i havent OC'ed though because i dont know how!!! :eh?:

mtb856

What are your temps now? If you don't have it, get MBM5 LINK and use it to check your idle and load temps. Most of the time idle temps don't change too much... it's your load temps that you'll notice a drop in when you do a cooling mod like organizing cables.

BTW, if you want to oc... then read the overclocking sticky in the cpu section, it should give you all the info you need. If you need more info then post a thread on it, but first use the search button and do some research of your own. Good Luck! :)

OP
loks

loks

Thanks i will do that.... by the way, my idle temp is at 45 C and CHM 33C. whatever CHU means! my cables are pretty clean and i have 3 case fans and the tornado on the SP-94.

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
1.What are you getting the temp readings from?
2.What are the positions & size of your case fans and what kind are they?
3.In what direction are the loops in the heat pipes facing?
4.What type TIM (thermal interface material) did you use to install the SP-94 HS?
5. Have you removed the fan grids from the case yet..
6.What do your temps show in the bios? CPU,& System (look in PC Health Status in bios)
7.Are your temps lower with the side panel off?
8. What is the rooms tempature?
9.Here's a link to Prime 95 program..Run it to put a load on the system. Run the torture test (large FFT)..Record temps..:)

PRIME 95 LINK :thup:

OP
loks

loks

right now im at work but when i get home in about 8 hours or so i will post my readings from PRIME 95. the front side and back fans arent that big. and i cant exactly remove grills because its an acrylic case and it doesnt bring grilles. im gonna post a pic of my PC when i get a chance. im in the process of buying sleeves and modding the case.

mtb856

Okay, that does make it a little harder to get the best airflow. If your case doesn't have them... you can still add a side fan and a blow hole as long as you're careful. The cable sleeving lowered my temps by a few °C's. Another thing that works well if routing your cables behind your mobo ( lengthen them if necessary to get them to fit).

OP
loks

loks

thanks for the advice i never thought of running my cables under the mobo!!!!

Strages

I would let Prime95 run a lot longer than one hour... usually I (and most others) let it run over night or for 12+ hours. That should give you an accurate measurement of temps and the kind of stability you'll face.

OP
loks

loks

well Prime95 has been running for a while now and i dont know where to read the temps from. Can anyone help?

OP
loks

loks

ok im confused my Soyo Hardware Monitor says that the CPU tmep is 46 C and the CHA Temp is 36 C. MBM 5 says that CPU temp is 76 C and the CHA temp is 24 C. i dont think that my CPU would be at 76 C!!!!!!!!!!