• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toshiba HDD not showing in windows or bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

capwn2626

Registered
Recently built a new machine with a Sata enabled GIGABYTE Z170 motherboard. I have a Sata hooked up to a WD HDD with Windows :)C) and all is well. I later hooked up a 2nd SATA cable (and power) to a Toshiba DT01ACA100 HDD but I can't see it in Bios OR windows (Even as unidentified in the computer management window).

There doesn't appear to be any drivers so it can't be drivers. The sata is fine as the other HDD works fine. Tried switching between two and it just doesn't see the Toshiba.

Mighty_Miro_WD

Western Digital Representative
Hi @capwn2626!

I agree with @Robert17 here - you may have to enable the HDD by turning it ON in System Setup in BIOS. The different manufactures have different methods to enter Setup, so please check system documentation for specifics.

In case it doesn't help try to connect the new drive to a different SATA port and see if it will appear in BIOS, and if it does make sure it's enabled and partition and format it in Disk Management.

Hope this helps and let us know how it went. :)

trents

Was the Toshiba drive previously in use or brand new?

Have you tried the Diskpart command from an elevated command prompt?

Type "Diskpart" (without quotes. same for all the following commands. without quotes, that is) and hit Enter key.

Then type "list disk" and hit Enter to display a list drives connected to your computer.

If it shows in the list then use "select disk x" where x is the number of the disk in the previous list and then hit Enter.

Then type "clean" and hit enter. Wait for the message to display that says the clean operation is completed.

Then type "Exit" and hit Enter.

Now the disk should show up in Disk Manager.

trents

I use that diskpart command with those switches to remove RAID meta data and gpt. That's why I asked OP if the drive had been previously deployed.

Last edited:
OP
C

capwn2626

Registered
Thanks for all the responses! Busy packing at the moment so not getting much time to tinker but based on another thread it seems that my sata cables are in the wrong ports.

oNBKA6X.png

WhitehawkEQ pointed out the diagram in the manual;

8YDfutL.png

I'm going to detach the one that leads to the outside of the case on the top first. Then I'm not quite sure what to do? Surely the one I have in (3) is working otherwise the first the main HDD wouldn't be working? Should I be plugging the x3 sata plug into 0,1,4 or 5 instead? Btw it wasn't me who plugged these in but the guy at the repair shop. If I buy another sata cable should I just buy another x3 one? do I have to get a specific cable?

Robert17

Premium Member
Did you access your BIOS and check to be sure that the drive is enable there? Having your drives connected in different SATA ports won't matter if you don't enable the port.

OP
C

capwn2626

Registered
Fixed :)

It was just me getting confused about my sata cables, I thought there were 2 cables, one with 1 end and 1 with 3 ends but really there were 3 cables. I have the weird external one from the top going into one port. I just pulled that out. Then I had one going from a port into original HDD and then the new HDD was not being plugged in at all, the plug just looked like it was coming off one of the cables that was plugged in.

Thanks everyone

trents

It constantly amazes me how often overlooking the basics unnecessarily extends my troubleshooting time. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.