• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total noob here hoping for some help with a few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superkewlnamebr

Hey guys!

So i just put together my new computer and currently waiting for GPU to be delivered monday. I have an i9-10850k so it has integrated graphics. I fired it up to mainly get windows installed and some games installed while I wait for GPU to be delivered monday. I wanted to get this stuff out of the way so i could be ready to go come monday.

I am totally new to overclocking. I found that intel has a program, extreme tuning utility, that is basically like a helper program for first time overclocking noobs. I noticed that the 10850k is not officially supported by that program but I assumed (i know probably horrible to assume here) that it would work with the 10850k. I am assuming the 10850k is not officially supported bc its a more recent release.

So last night i fired it up on the new machine and ran the bench mark in the intel utility and noticed the temps would sky rocket to 100C and throttling would be enabled for almost the entire bench mark. I checked the idle temps of the CPU and it sits around 32C. I have an arctic liquid freezer 2 240mm cooler and was under the impression this would be easily enough for a moderate OC.

So im here asking for any help/advice yall could provide. Should i have a GPU in the computer before trying to overclock the CPU? Does that make a difference at all? I would not think so but again im a total noob here so i dont know.

Do you think there is actually an issue with the Utility itself since it does not officially support the 10850k?

Also another thing yall will probably want to know. The motherboard is an ASUS Rog Strix Z-490-E.

Also i ran the utility against my current computer which is an i7-8700k with 1080ti and bench mark temps never got about 72C. So this has me thinking something is def not right with the new build.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can help me out!

I wouldn’t ever use overclocking software, it is always better to do it through the bios as you can control everything. If you are not at that stage I wouldn’t really bother with overclocking. It’s a fast cpu anyway, so you won’t see much performance gains really.

As for the temps. Have you stress tested the cpu with no overclock? What are those temps? It could be you haven’t seated the cpu correctly or the paste isn’t covering properly. If those temps are fine, the yes maybe it is the overclocking software.

I wouldn’t ever use overclocking software, it is always better to do it through the bios as you can control everything. If you are not at that stage I wouldn’t really bother with overclocking. It’s a fast cpu anyway, so you won’t see much performance gains really.

As for the temps. Have you stress tested the cpu with no overclock? What are those temps? It could be you haven’t seated the cpu correctly or the paste isn’t covering properly. If those temps are fine, the yes maybe it is the overclocking software.

alright, so i am just a complete doofus. figured it out. i was reading other questions about max temp on new builds and clicked in my head i never removed the sticker from the cooler. did that, reapplied paste and hooked it back up and now im seeing normal temps during stress testing. seem a little high, around 70 to 75 at some points but not worried anymore.

TL;DR im a dummyy

alright, so i am just a complete doofus. figured it out. i was reading other questions about max temp on new builds and clicked in my head i never removed the sticker from the cooler. did that, reapplied paste and hooked it back up and now im seeing normal temps during stress testing. seem a little high, around 70 to 75 at some points but not worried anymore.

TL;DR im a dummyy

Hahaha sorry must laugh a little.

You aren’t the first to do that and you won’t the last either.

70-75c during stress testing is quite acceptable. Throttling starts at 100c. Don't worry about anything less than 90c when stress testing. All is well.

Back