• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tough choice... 5870 or water cooled setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simviatoR

So I have a choice to make - My system specs are in my sig below:

Should I upgrade from the 4890 to a 5870

or

go for a water cooling set-up and TRY to go from 4.2ghz to 4.5ghz

with these parts:

Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC Top
Apogee XT
Danger Den brass fillport
Petra's PT biocide
XSPC RX240 Dual 120mm Radiator
PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 3/8"ID 5/8" OD with 1/8" Wall - UV Red
Danger Den Delrin T-Fitting
Bitspower Chrome G1/4" Barb Fitting - 3/8" ID

Which would yield the most performance increase?

Games played:

Modern Warfare 2
Flight Simulator X
CS:S
similar games.. all maxed out and running 60-120fps (i think i may have just answered my own question)

if your running 60-120fps what type of increase are you trying to get?
numbers is about the only thing you will improve, nothing noticable..

I myself would grab the card.... only if your parts are cooled nicely... Or if the next time you upgrade your card which could probaly be 2 years ish if you dont mind dropping the graphics every once in awhile.

I say get the watercooling setup and later in time grab a new card. Most likely if you get a card now youll regret some of the major new ones that are coming out in a few months.

Last edited:
if your running 60-120fps what type of increase are you trying to get?
numbers is about the only thing you will improve, nothing noticable..

Well actually all games except FSX - busy scenery brings the beast to its knees man.

I'm getting around 75-80*c during prime95 full load. I would like to have lower temps.

I'm going to jump on the water cooled setup and wait for the 5870's to start staying in stock and perhaps drop in price a bit.

if you are getting good framerates already I would definately go with the water cooling...

Just to let you know... you will need a triple radiator (3x120mm) to get decent temperatures on an overclcoked i7... especially if you are pushing it that far.

visit the watercooling section and make sure to read all the stickies... they really do help!

I too vote for water. A water setup is something that generally lasts for years where as the main video setup for a gaming rig does not. So while you aren't getting a fps bonus (other than what the additional oc room grants), you will be setup for your next wave of upgrades for some great cooling.

if you are getting good framerates already I would definately go with the water cooling...

Just to let you know... you will need a triple radiator (3x120mm) to get decent temperatures on an overclcoked i7... especially if you are pushing it that far.

visit the watercooling section and make sure to read all the stickies... they really do help!

Yeah i know but the case i have, Coolermaster 690 will not fit a triple rad i think? unless you can prove me wrong?!

So I have a choice to make - My system specs are in my sig below:

Should I upgrade from the 4890 to a 5870

or

go for a water cooling set-up and TRY to go from 4.2ghz to 4.5ghz

with these parts:

Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC Top
Apogee XT
Danger Den brass fillport
Petra's PT biocide
XSPC RX240 Dual 120mm Radiator
PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 3/8"ID 5/8" OD with 1/8" Wall - UV Red
Danger Den Delrin T-Fitting
Bitspower Chrome G1/4" Barb Fitting - 3/8" ID

Which would yield the most performance increase?

Games played:

Modern Warfare 2
Flight Simulator X
CS:S
similar games.. all maxed out and running 60-120fps (i think i may have just answered my own question)

60-120FPS maxed in everything? Sounds more like you need a bigger monitor. What resolution you playing at?

Yeah i know but the case i have, Coolermaster 690 will not fit a triple rad i think? unless you can prove me wrong?!

External rad?

And if your only playing at the resolutions you posted I would def get watercooling.

I will once I want to push the i7 some more :)

I believe in cooler is better.

I've decided to spring for the triple radiator after reading some projects on the cm690.

Where there's a will there's a way (to a certain extent) I'm pretty sure I've seen a triple rad mounted at the top (it will fit with some work) but i'm not sure what that will do to the usability of the top ports.

If I do ever get to go to water I will make a triple rad fit at the top of my 690.

Back