• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trade my 1.8A for a 2.6?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo_fx

Well a friend with a notebook is willing to trade his 2.6 for my 1.8A because it keeps overheating and BSOD'ing when anything intensive loads up.. this is the older P4 latptops where they just stick a desktop chip in a laptop :p I was quite surprised when I opened it up.. he wants 50 + my chip for the 2.6 should I do it??

Lonely Raven

If you traded with me please leave me Heatware Sen
As long as it's a REAL desktop chip, hell yeah!

He probably won't even notice the difference.

Just make sure that it's a proper P4 desktop chip, or you'll
be kicking yourself about being stuck with a 12X multiplier!

OP
V

Voodoo_fx

heres the chip markings...

2.60 Ghz / 512 / 400/ 1.525

SL6GU Costa Rica

3229a290-0345

whats all this mean.. and is it descent?

Lonely Raven

If you traded with me please leave me Heatware Sen
Sounds like the right thing.

Probably not much of an overclocker being middle of last
year and a 2.6, but still a solid chip!

batboy

Senior Moment
It's an early C1 stepping. Those were a pretty good CPU, although most overclockers avoided them due to the high multiplier. On average, it should do about 3 gig.

hoytron

I was wondering about this myself. A guy on ebay was selling barebones laptops, and he claimed that you could "save money and use a desktop processor." I figured you could, as the mobile and desktop CPUs are the same socket. But the desktop chips run at a higher voltage, and would require good cooling to keep from throttling and locking up. Now I know better.