• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transcoding GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nimblor

I am looking for a used GPU for transcoding for my plex server. My 4770k gets a little bogged down sometimes with multiple streams and I am hoping to give it a hand with a GPU. I am looking for something cheap (<$200), used, and nvidia. Bonus if it is not a power hog. My plex server runs in a docker image if that makes any difference. I am really out of touch with the gpu options. Any suggestions would be great.

Niku-Sama

i could see a 1650/1660 and variant doing this job well and they are recent enough
i probably wouldnt bother with a 1630, not sure what they are thinking with that one...

i'm currently using a 1660 super i bought for an emulation system and was planned to do plex with it but life changed before that could happen, but its still doing well for emulation

OP
Nimblor

Nimblor

This is very helpful. Thank you. Have you used the virtualization patch for it, assuming you are using a linux emulation platform?

Niku-Sama

oh no nothing like that.

its a windows machine and retro gaming emulation is what i was using it for.
when i was putting it together as a tinker when the world shut down n 2019 i wanted something that had an up to date nvenc encoder for plex and vulkan for 3d rendered console games. i was going to have it set up on the main TV to play the games on but have all our movies on it as well connected to the network so we could see them in other rooms.

then we went our separate ways, quit jobs and sold the house... soo the rest of that was kinda a non starter

Railgun

I’m using a 1660ti to try…4k down to anything other than 4k and it’s terrible.

ESXi7 hypervisor
Win10 VM with the card passed through

Just too slow to get any appreciable performance

OP
Nimblor

Nimblor

I’m using a 1660ti to try…4k down to anything other than 4k and it’s terrible.

ESXi7 hypervisor
Win10 VM with the card passed through

Just too slow to get any appreciable performance
Do you mean that the 1660ti can't handle the transcode from 4k?