• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transition from Intel to AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As someone who upgraded from an I5 2500k to an I7 6700k, I can say this; The upgrade from i5 to i7 was noticable; around 5-10 fps gain depending on the game, but completely unnecessary. The fps gain was a combination of ram performance(from DDR3 1600 cl8's to DDR4 3000 cl16's) as well as slightly faster icp/ht.

The reason I upgraded it at all was because I was having constant issues with the set of parts I had chosen. I was unable to pinpoint the issue, and couldn't justify dumping money into a (at the time) 3 year old system to fix the issue. It was either the processor memory controller, the Ram, or the motherboard. DDR3 was being phased out for DDR4, so I saw no reason to try new ddr3 memory.

This upgrade fixed the vehement system instability I experienced with the I5 system.

I ended up replacing the cpu, mobo, ram, and HDD, using my old PSU and video card from the previous build to hold me over. I'm still using the psu, but recently upgraded my gpu to an rx480, and bought a 500 gig 850 evo. A new psu is in the works on the first of next month, as my psu is 6 years old, and has begun to chirp annoyingly at me.

I did want to go I7 because of the work that I would be doing on it (Web and Graphic design/rendering), but that was literally the only reason I didn't go for a 6600k.

I am all the way with E_ D here: DHL killed my mobo and I was planning on selling the 5820k in sig to grab a X370+1700.

Finally, I ended with a X99 Fatal1ty Professional I got on the cheap (well relatively...), as no 4.1GHz Ryzen would outperform my Haswell-E. Real life is not synthetic benchmarks, and with a 20% higher IPC per core, the 2years+ old [email protected] is still a beast (even with 2 cores less).

If I had to build a new rig now, it would be a different story: I would go Ryzen for sure, but that's another story...

If you arent set on dual channel, then buy a 2x8gb kit like i linked above for $110...done.

-anyway-

so, and from my understanding that ivybridge is still worth using in 2017, is it really worth replacing my 3570k with another 3570k or 3770k?

i just want to add another kit of 8gb while keeping this processor overclocked to 4.5ghz or higher.

EDIT: yes thats my video. forgot to mention that...whoops :s

Last edited:
glad you were able to pinpoint the issue. try contacting Intel about it to see if you can get some sort of replacement. leave out the overclocking bit lol

I dont think i can. After i asked shrimp brime to delid it, replace thermal paste, and relid, im sure intel is going to find out when they get it.

I am all the way with E_ D here: DHL killed my mobo and I was planning on selling the 5820k in sig to grab a X370+1700.

Finally, I ended with a X99 Fatal1ty Professional I got on the cheap (well relatively...), as no 4.1GHz Ryzen would outperform my Haswell-E. Real life is not synthetic benchmarks, and with a 20% higher IPC per core, the 2years+ old [email protected] is still a beast (even with 2 cores less).

If I had to build a new rig now, it would be a different story: I would go Ryzen for sure, but that's another story...

Yeah I had an X99/i7-5820K rig for a couple of years. Didn't OC like yours, I ran it at 4.3 GHz 24/7, but a stable and powerful setup for sure.

I dont think i can. After i asked shrimp brime to delid it, replace thermal paste, and relid, im sure intel is going to find out when they get it.
I still wonder if that CPU just had a weak IMC as opposed to totally failed... So adding .2V System Agent voltage didn't get past that 55?

I still wonder if that CPU just had a weak IMC as opposed to totally failed... So adding .2V System Agent voltage didn't get past that 55?

it did not "tottally failed". its still working fine in single channel ram in slots b1 and b2. any thing in slots a1 or a2 is a fail.

you mean error code 55? again, if there is any memory in slots a1 or a2, it beeps with error 55 and does not show bios unless i place memory in slots a1 and a2.

you DID watch the video right?

Amazing..you prefer to correct me than to answer questions which can help you. I get whats going on. :)

The underlying point I am trying to make is to see if its a weak IMC. At times, when populating 4 DIMMs, you will need to add voltage to bolster the IMC. Did you add .2V to your SA and see if that prevented the 55 code? I mean, I doubt that is the issue, but, if it wasn't attempted, it's worth a try as IMCs, like the whole CPU they are a part of, are not all the same (and its free and takes 2 minutes to do). Some need that voltage bump to work with 4 DIMMs or faster speeds. ;)

Last edited:
When you explain it like that, it makes more sense to me what your trying to tell me. better to paint a large portrait instead of small one in order for me to get the picture, ya know?

anyway, i went to vccsa (thats the one right?) and switch it from auto to 1.092v. the default was 0.925. When i rebooted the computer with sticks in slots A2 and B2, it booted to error code 55 and would not show anything on screen like it always did before.

so should i try raising it some more or just go and buy the 3770k?

That IMC is damaged then... hmm.. well, the choice is yours. You have several viable options from many people. :)

When you explain it like that, it makes more sense to me what your trying to tell me. better to paint a large portrait instead of small one in order for me to get the picture, ya know?

anyway, i went to vccsa (thats the one right?) and switch it from auto to 1.092v. the default was 0.925. When i rebooted the computer with sticks in slots A2 and B2, it booted to error code 55 and would not show anything on screen like it always did before.

so should i try raising it some more or just go and buy the 3770k?

I would try Vccio Stock Intel 0.960v changed to 1.165v, Vccsa (System Agent) stock Intel 1.060v changed to 1.248v, if that does not work then get the 3770k.

Tried wingmans recommendation and it still booted right up with error code 55. bought a 3770k right after that.

hopefully i can finally achieve that 5ghz overclock i always wanted. but 4.5ghz is also cool. or 4.8ghz.

also bought another 8gb ddr3 kit.

Tried wingmans recommendation and it still booted right up with error code 55. bought a 3770k right after that.

hopefully i can finally achieve that 5ghz overclock i always wanted. but 4.5ghz is also cool. or 4.8ghz.

You wont be getting 5ghz on 3770k...not with ambient cooling anyway.

I'm wondering if something is wrong with the motherboard, that some of the RAM slots are bad. Have you tried moving the RAM around to different slots to check this?

Back