• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TransparentAll, anybody interested?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glebka11

This program will change transparency of any other program you want.
This is the first version so please note that it might be buggy.
The program will only work on windows NT greater than 5.0 (e.g. XP, 2003, 2000)
You can get it here

I want to hear you'r opinions.

Thanks.

EDIT:

This software is now old and outdated. There will be no further updates.
This software is officially dead.

After a major HDD crash, all the source code was destroyed and at the moment I have to time to rewrite this program. Sorry.

I asked the mods to remove the thread a while ago but for some reason it is still here.

Last edited:
OP
glebka11

glebka11

Well it does slow the PC a bit, but it really depends on the CPU speed and how much ram you got and how much transparency you are using.

Titan386

You can delete a post yourself. Look near the top of the edit screen.

How did you implement the transparency? My guess would be that you get a display context for the window in question and then alter its attributes before it actually draws anything, but I'm not sure if that is possible. So how does your program do it? Sorry, I haven't downloaded it (got a phobia of .exe files ;) ).

OP
glebka11

glebka11

Titan386 said:
You can delete a post yourself. Look near the top of the edit screen.

How did you implement the transparency? My guess would be that you get a display context for the window in question and then alter its attributes before it actually draws anything, but I'm not sure if that is possible. So how does your program do it? Sorry, I haven't downloaded it (got a phobia of .exe files ;) ).

Its very simple. I changed the Alpha value of the window.

Chrispy Pradoes

Hrm ...

Well, I'd like to try it out, but I'm running a dinosaur here. What would you reecommend to run it cleanly?

OP
glebka11

glebka11

Chrispy Pradoes said:
Well, I'd like to try it out, but I'm running a dinosaur here. What would you reecommend to run it cleanly?

I'm afraid i don't know what "dinosaur" is.

Is it some kind of UNIX/Linux OS?

Chrispy Pradoes

Heh.

*laughs* No, I was talking about my processor and such. I've got a four year old Dell that's running at 800 mhz. I was just wondering how fast and how much ram would be needed for that transparency program to run smoothly.

Titan386

Ok I just tried it out.

A few comments:
- It generally isn't a good idea to write your own license. Instead, pick a "tried and true" license that you understand. For open source / free software programs, some such licenses are the GPL and BSD license. There are probably some out there for software that is not open source but is distributed for free.

- The installer wanted to overwrite a system DLL. I didn't let it, but it worked fine anyways.

- Check your spelling. Spelling mistakes are just as bad (and sometimes worse) than coding errors.

- The list of transparency targets includes processes on my system that don't have windows. You might want to rethink your interface in that regard. Maybe have the user point to the window that they want to make transparent? (I'm not sure about Visual Basic, but I do know this is possible using the win32 C API. You would just handle the WM_KILLFOCUS message to get a handle to the window that the user selected, and then change that window's alpha value).

- After using the "transparent all" feature, Windows started acting strange, and my background picture disappeared. I know your program warned weird stuff could happened, but I figured I would mention it anyway.

Cool program, keep up the good work :)

OP
glebka11

glebka11

I will *try to* fix all those bugs in the next versions, but it would take some time.
I think the next version will have totally different interface.

Meanwhile, this is what i have :)

It works so, its ok till i relese the next version.

About the GPL, i think its only for open source software.

OP
glebka11

glebka11

Chrispy Pradoes said:
*laughs* No, I was talking about my processor and such. I've got a four year old Dell that's running at 800 mhz. I was just wondering how fast and how much ram would be needed for that transparency program to run smoothly.

It all depends on how much transparency you would use.
I think your PC will be ok for small windows (not full screen).

Best solution is to try :)

OP
glebka11

glebka11

This software is now old and outdated. There will be no further updates.
This software is officially dead.

After a major HDD crash, all the source code was destroyed and at the moment I have to time to rewrite this program. Sorry.

I asked the mods to remove the thread a while ago but for some reason it is still here.

Status
Not open for further replies.