• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transporting PC in car, safe for heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pollux

I have a Zalman CNPS-7000A-AlCu mounted on my Abit NF7-S 2.0. In one month, I'll be moving into my college dorm, which is about a 2 hour drive from where I live. How do u suggest I safely tranport my PC? Should I remove the heatsink, or can it be done without removing it?

mtb856

I wouldn't worry too much about transporting your computer with that HS on there... if you had a SP-94 w/ a 92mm fan on a spacer or maybe a Hyper 6 HS, then you would have to worry. If it makes you less nervous, go ahead and remove the HS... it's always better to be safe than sorry.

cougars37

Registered
I would lay it down flat in the back seat, recline the passenger front seat until it braces up against your case to help minimize movement. And then i would buckle it in for good measure. Remeber Click it or Ticket.

Sjaak

I've been moving my PC (sig..zalman copper flowerbed) around for 3 months to LAN's etc. Just put some blanket in the back of the car, case lied down, and voila, everything's fine.

a c i d.f l y

Or you could stuff a wash-rag or two in there to hold everything in place.. just make sure to remove them before you power your monster back up! :D

-Frank

YellowDart

mtb856 said:
I wouldn't worry too much about transporting your computer with that HS on there... if you had a SP-94 w/ a 92mm fan on a spacer or maybe a Hyper 6 HS, then you would have to worry. If it makes you less nervous, go ahead and remove the HS... it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Bah! The sp-94 probably puts less stress on a mobo since it's got the x-plate on the rear to support the weight. The Zalman has only the retention bracket.

a c i d.f l y said:
Or you could stuff a wash-rag or two in there to hold everything in place.. just make sure to remove them before you power your monster back up! :D

-Frank

And get all that extra lint, dust, etc from the rag in there??? And also risk the cloth snagging on any of the components less-than-rounded edges???

Dood, you'll be fine. Just lie your tower down on its side on a blanket in your back seat. I LAN pretty often, and have yet to have a problem transporting mine.

Docta_Z

Pollux said:
how about in the trunk?

Where will you stash your bodies then?

Bring some towels to brace it from moving.

I drive for like 18 hours with my case back to university, and I've never had a problem.

All the retention brackets are built pretty tough.

lugee

i dont have any bolt mounts, but i commute an hour every week and sometimes bring my pc back home.

i tilt it and recline the seat so taht itll hold it down. doesnt move or anything after that.