• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trash Inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberianIce

Registered
Hello ppl,

Let me introduce my beast :D
I am using an very old PC, many of you will prolly laugh when read about it but it satisfies many of my needs, and woks very well even with new applications such as Adobe CS5, LigtRoom etc on Windows 7 with all desktop effects (aero peak and that kind of $#@$#@). I have great deal of expierience with Linux OS, espetialy with openSUSE which im using since it was just SuSE and before...

CPU
I have Intel Pentium 4 2.8E (Prescott, 2.8/800/1MB) running smoothly @ 2.8GHz with fantastic Intel Hyper-Threading technology which makes it very best 32bit single-core CPU for socket 478. Before i pushed it to max 3.4GHz (ofc FSB increase only) with liquid cooling device but now it works with intel stock air cooler and heatsink, runs very hot even on stock frequencies so i dont push it over 3GHz anymore, even it seems run stable on 3.2GHz. When CPU gets hot, it make unbelievably noise, CPU FAN goes up to 5.5k rpm and im forced to use SpeedFan to cut that #@%$@ nose and keep it under some control. Anyone who had any experience with Prescott must remember of that terrible sounds...

Memory
My memori is 2xTranscend 512MB (400/2.5) and 2xKingston 512MB (400/3.0) DDR which makes total of 2GB system memory, running @ 320MHz, CL2.5 in Dual Channel, partialy PAT.

Moainboard
I used to have Intel Desktop Board D865PERL but it messed up something with memory interface and that board is very dead by now. Afterwards, I bought ASUS P4P800, branded by MAXDATA, but i successfuly upgraded BIOS ROM with an OEM from ASUS P4P800 SE, using "howto" from this board (THANKS FOR THAT, GREAT DEAL PPL :D). So now I am using very last beta release BIOS ROM, with all kind of #@#@$!# such as Jumperfree Configuration and PAT technology in manner to put some fire on my CPU. Otherwise i would not be able to do any OC on my sytem anyway.

Graphic Adapter
My graphic adapter is PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP with 512MB DDR2, 128bit memory interface (I am aware that GPU-Z see it as 64bit, and SiSoft SANDRA shows up 128bit, but who cares for that anyway). Default clock of this adapter is 725MHz GPU and 800MHz memory. I run it @ 740MHz GPU and 880MHz memory with ATI OverDrive utillity, runs very stable and very cold (cold - in very relative terms). It is not powerful graphic adapter but it is one of the best you can put in old 8xAGP slot.

Power Supply
After lightening burned out my Chieftec 450W PSU, I bought poor, low-cost 500W PSU (500 chineese watts :D) which is not up to task, and I cant run more that one HDD unit - /FAIL :shrug: That 500W of peak power is actualy something prolly below 175W continuous supply what badly supply basic components with power. The only brightside is that all voltages are very stable over time.

Monitor
LG FLATRON W1934S, 19" TFT, 1440x900@60Hz

Few years ago this was flawles PC configuration and today is just PC for internet.

Now my questions :D
Before, on my old Intel board, SOMETIMES appeared "new hw found wizard" and found base system device named "Intel 82865G/PE/P/GV/82848P Processor to I/O Memory Interface - 2576". I repeat, that was just SOMETIMES, on old Intel D865PERL Mainboard, with lastest BIOS, Chipset drivers and on Windows XP... And after shutdown that device wanished from Device Manager as they appeared. That board goes crazy not long after that. Sometimes worked with all 4 memory banks, sometimes did not handle with more than 3, and at the end of life just 2 memory banks worked. If i put anything on other 2 banks -> Blank Screen. If i put any Dual Channel configuration -> Blank Screen.

With new motherboard, ASUS P4P800 (flashed SE) i had not any problems with memory or anything else so far. And today i sow again "new hw found wizard" see image, click to enlarge:

1) My question is what is this device, why system sometimes see it sometimes not, and all time works great with no respect if device is present or absent in device manager.

2) Second, my GPU runs @ 300MHz/800 while IDLE and after I put some HD video on playback or start a videogame it SHOULD raise up to 725MHz, but that sometimes happen sometimes not. Depending on type of game or video file format. I.e. when i play Shaiya MMORPG it never goes up to 725MHz and game FPS is very low. I tried ATI Tray Tools, ATITool etc, but none of them seems to work as declared. Only way i play Shaiya is to start 1080p video in player, put it on background and than start a game. I play Shaiya @ 1280x800@16bit. With CounterStrike this works fine. I play CounterStrike 1440x900@32bit and not long after i click on the game GPU frequency goes @725MHz or 740MHz, whatever is in ATI OverDrive instructed. I found that this problem is related to ATI powersave philosophy, but didnt found any solutions how to keep GPU running @ 740MHz i.e while playing damn Shaiya without need to stard FullHD video. It is not related to game resolution or color deepth (i tried higher resolutions and colour deepth in Shaiya but GPU always remain @300MHz) /ANGRY :bang head

3) What more can be donte to keep Prescott cool and quiet? Liquid cooling only? Or maybe just some better s478 heatsink+cooler?

4) Bonus question: :rofl: What do you think, does OC on this old machine have any sense at all, or its just my obsession with OC, which yells in my head that i have to do that :D

At the end i wish to say thanks to all ppl who acctualy read whole post :D For the rest who did not i painted most important parts. After i got some answers, i have even more questions but for now that would be all. Have fun xD

EDIT: #@$#@$ = swears xD

Last edited:
When you do see it in hardware manager, have you right-clicked>properties>update driver?

I liquid cooled my Prescott, but there are some good air-coolers I'd give a try. Browse around the "cooling" forum titles to see what's working for people as I'm SO behind on air cooling.

OCing does make sense. It runs what you wanna run. To upgrade would be your choice, if you'd like to. Love the speed of a 64 bit system myself.

When i right-click on it to check driver details, it shown up that driver manufacturer for this device is Intel (not Microsoft), and that driver is part of chipset drivers package with rest of chipset drivers which i installed for my chipset. I am using Intel Chipset Drivers Inf update for Windows XP because there is no adequate drivers for Windows 7 for my mobo but those drivers are all 32-bit drivers and my system is 32-bit they dont make any problems during instalation or later use. I just wondering why this sometimes is present and sometimes is not present in device manager... Look, now there is not shown again and everything works fine as always...

ScreenShot

Last edited:
Did i done it well?

2012061022h09cputemp.png

Back