• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Treckin's 955BE 4Ghz Daily OC Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treckin

Registered
I thought I would start this thread so that anyone else out there who wants to find a stable 4Ghz clock for their 955/965 can check out what others have done.

First, the specs:

$140 | Phenom II x4 955 BE C3

$55 | Zalman 9900ALED

$75 | Asus M4A79XTD Motherboard

$93 | GSkill Ripjaw Series 9-9-9-9 DDR3

$8 | Thermaltake ram slot dual fans

$200 | 2x Asus EAH4850's in Crossfire |core:720 | ram:1150 |

$free | 2x Seagate 300GB SATA HDD's in RAID 0

$70 | Antec TruPower 650 Modular PSU

The reason I bought these parts was simple; PRICE. These suckers were cheep, plain and simple. Almost everything here was done combo'd up on Newegg, and the whole thing was less then $600.

I originally posted this in another thread, but I didnt want to hijack, so Ill repost here:

currentconfig.png

I want to get it to 16x on the multiplier, but I have to reseat my Zalman 9900ALED cooler.

It makes a huge difference. The first time I seated this chip a month ago, it idled at 27 and hit 37 under load at ~3.8 and 1.5xVID. I had to reseat the proc, and I didnt do as good a job this time. Now it idles at ~40-45 at 4.0 and ~1.6VID.

If I were to **** with it some more, I would like to get a higher multiplier (16 or 16.5) and a higher NB/HT overclock.
Being able to take the ram to 2000+ would also be nice :p

This setup runs p95 blend for a so far indefinite period with no errors.

FSB is 260 if you cant see. I had it set to 265 but it was giving math errors with higher voltage in prime.

Last edited:
Part 2

Ok, as I said, that last push ^ was old, about a week ago.

This is all on Win7x64 btw.

Now, I have some new settings :attn:

First, the screenie:

temp1n.png

I forgot to hi-light it but this config runs about 10 deg C cooler at idle and 8-9 deg C cooler load (idling at 35c vs 45c)

If if didnt mention it, these are all stable, passed at least 3 sets of 10 Prime95.

I decided to drop my ref clock down further from 260 to 250, and I settled on 16 as my multiplier. Doing this allowed me to loose a lot of core voltage at the same resultant clock freq, and I therefore am more stable/more cool under max power consumption stress testing.

Because my ref clock is now lower, however, my ram is going to run at 'only' 1666. Because of this I dropped the timings from 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v to 8-8-8-24 @ 1.6v. As I understand it, timings can be more important then raw bandwidth, especially on wide chips such as the PhIIx4.

I included a screenie of the voltages page because I wanted any passing lurkers to take note of the voltages I had to up to get this stable.

CPU-NB (IMC) vid = 1.2875v
HT-vid = 1.260v
NB - 1.28v (pic says 1.3 but its wrong, dbbl checked bios)
SB = 1.35 <- would not boot with out this, but WOULD boot with 1.65 vcore and w/o this. GOOD SETTING)

:comp:

treckin,
I am new to AMD phenom II x4 systems. I am planning on getting one soon 955 Black Ed.. I have looked at alot of info in the last 2 days, only to find that I know very little about putting together a good planned system. I want to build a machine that i will not have to upgrade anytime soon. I will be using it for learning AutoCAD and controlling a HF rig. I was not sure what mother board was best, only that I didn't need on-board video. I am not sure that I even need to OC it, except it seems the thing to do "get more out if you can". i think that AutoCAD on a home computer is a good reason to OC.

I am new and do not know much I wish there were a book or two that I could read to get up to speed. I saw your parts list and was impressed. your tag says new member ,but you sound as though you understand the the way the chip work. I could use help to understand it as well. i guess it will take time and a few mistakes lol.

Thank You

Are you using AOD to overclock instead of manually overclocking from the bios?

It just depends on what you need and what you're definition is of "stable". I require no errors in Prime 95, OCCT, IntelBurn, etc. when run 24/7. I can get 4.0 GHz with 1.5V CPU, CPU-NB @ 1.2V with SB/HT @ 1.3V. I'm not sure jacking the power on all of these is worth the small performance gains for my use when I can run 3.7 GHz. with all default settings resulting in 10 C cooler CPU temps under full load.

Back