• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tried flashing...I think my BIOS is dead.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anitract

Man, I feel like such a noob. I have an NF7-S Rev 2. Ok, I thought I did everything right. I wanted to update my BIOS from D22 to TicTac's D23 Sub-zer0 V2. (located here).

Here is what I did:
+Put my computer back to optimized settings.
+Downloaded the mentioned file.
+Ran Flash ver. 1.21 (recommended on many sites)
+Used the instructions by Tictac himself:
Windows Method: ABIT Flash Menu
* Abit Flash Menu
* After download... install... then open it
* Click update from file.... browse and click on the bios file u want to flash with
* Flash The Bios
* After finish flashing Turn off computer, and remove powercord
* Push the power button a few times (so all capacitors in the PSU become empty)
* Move Clear CMOS jumper to clear, and let it be there 5-10mins, then move it back to normal position
* Start the computer, enter bios
* Load Bios Optimized default, save and reboot

Well I got to turning my computer back on...nothing. Just the whirl of the fans. I thought I followed the posted instructions to the T...now I think I realize what I did wrong: instead of restarting after the BIOS flashed (when prompted to), I powered off and cleared the CMOS and proceded from there. I think I misunderstood the TicTac's instructions. Is this what I did wrong...not resetting it before clearing?

Any suggestions to try to get it working? I suppose I will need to purchase a replacement BIOS chip...which I was going to do eventually anyway. But still...I just knew something like this was going to happen - I am totally accident-prone!

Last edited:
I had a bad flash also from one of the TicTac's betas. I was unable to recover from it.

edit:

You may want to leave the cmos as clearing. Remove your battery for a while then put it all back and see if that works.

Yeah, man, I felt pretty confident though...until I realized I might have errored. Still I wonder, was the BIOS flash simply bad, or did powering off instead of resetting it when I was prompted after running the Flash Menu program mess it up? If anyone knows, I would really appreciate some insight (for next time).

Last night I put the CMOS to clearing and took out the battery before bedtime. You can be sure that is the first thing I check after work. :beer:

I ended up ordering a RD1-PMC4 BIOS Savior...and I will likely get a replacement BIOS chip from eXcaliberPC.com to get me up and running again once I decide if this BIOS install is in fact toast.

The bios savior is a smart investment, but you need a bios chip with a good bios in order to get your computer up and running; in other words, a bios savior cannot save a chip that's already fubar.

Thank goodness for eXcaliberPC.com. I was flashing my bios last night and, of all things, a power outage.(not very common where I live) Arghhhh... bios is hosed. Sure am glad they have replacement bios chips for the NF7 series. Mine should be here in a couple of days. -whew-
As this was just my backup computer, I didn't see the need to invest in a bios savior for this rig. Guess it wouldn't hurt to get one for future planning...
That'll teach me... heh

Well, I'm off work...bios is indeed hosed. lol I was mad at first, but now not so much. Looks like I'll be ordering the chip from excaliber after all. Can someone tell me one thing: what did I do to make this a bad BIOS flash?

Back