• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trim-like programs for usb flash drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
I know this may have an obvious solution, but right now, i'm tired and my brain am not working so goodlike.... em oh oh en that spells toolkit!

Anyways, I'm running into a situation at work where my favorite thumbdrive at work (also the largest capacity one) is starting to slow down as the unfortunate side-effect of writing/reading/'erasing' data from it has obviously left 99% of the little gates/registers on it in some sort of position other than neutral, which of course slows down the write/rewrite capability of it to slower than a snail trying to e-mail a sloth over 9600 baud.

Is there a way to clear the gates/registers on the drive so that they are back to a neutral state and thus, able to write/re-write faster than currently they are able to? Or am I stuck with the massively degraded performance?

OP
TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
thanks man.

This one is showing massive degredation in write speed. Read speed is as fast as ever. Write/re-write is very slow now. I've thought of doing a 0-fill to the drive, but am unsure as to if that will have the desired effect or not.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Doing a 100% zero fill should have the same effect. You are basically resetting the drive.

If you can, run the ATTO benchmark on the drive before and after the zero format. I'm very interested to see if there is any difference. As I stated in the last thread, I've had two flash drives (one for a very long time) and neither have shown decreased performance in read, write or random access in the many years that I've owned both. Is this a cheaper/older drive? When purchasing flash drive, I tend to stay away from the cheap ones.

OP
TollhouseFrank

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
i honestly have no idea how old it is. 16gb. USB2 interface. Not a 'namebrand'. It has a business logo on it so i'm guessing my boss ordered it specially for a business and they didn't want it....

Hopefully I'll remember to test it monday when i get back to work.

Now all i gotta do is find some zero-fill software that is free. My google-fu is weak and i can't seem to find free zero-fill software.