• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRIM or GC type software for flash drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I have a 16GB flash drive, that's been filled and emptied 3 or 4 times since i bought it 6 months ago. I use it mainly for installing Windows on my computer, so it's not really a lot of write cycles on it. I was just wondering if there's some way that i can clean out the flash cells that have been written to, and then erased? When i got the drive, i was getting 20+ write speeds... now i'm getting about 2 or 3 MB/s lol

I don't believe that they require cleanup like SSD's do. I've had my 8gb OCZ Rally for a long time (ever since they went for $55) and the layout/files have changed multiple times. The drive performs like it was when it was new. Heck, even the 2gb OCZ Rally I had before that got way more abuse than my current one and it never slowed down.

If there is, cool, that would be nice to find out; but I suspect something is wrong with the drive or connection.

Hmmm... maybe it is something to do with my computer then... thanks. I'll poke around in my USB settings and see if anything is changed by any chance.

Im with thid here. Ive got a 2gb sony flashdrive that i've had for at least 2-3 years and ive written and erased it to full capacity countless times, in one day I know I filled it up and erased it over and over at least 10-15 times doing various experiments with some software and its still just as fast as it was the day I got it and works like a charm.

Back