• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Triple channeling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vector150

Registered
Ok talking to a friend he told me that with i7's in order to triple channel. You have to use 3 sticks of ram only. Meaning if I used all 6 ram slots I would not be runn triple channel. Can anyone shead some light on this for me. Thank you

OP
V

Vector150

Registered

Right Thank you. Oh one more thing he was also saying when using 6 slots it would be slower do to not being able to use the CPu ram bus control. But either way Just made my choice 6 sticks it is.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Wha?????? Your friend...lol....

Why do you need 6 sticks of ram anyway (assuming you want 12GB)? Unless you run a couple of VM's work with large vids/pics/rendering, you wont use close to 6GB. Its also worth mentioning that in order to use that much ram you need a 64bit OS.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
"cpu ram buss control" :confused: and what????

the cpu has a onboard memory controller that is tied to all 6 slots for ram.. there is no other memory controller for LGA1366 i7's... using 3 or 6 dimms gets you tri-channle, in testing tri-channel doesnt offer much over dual channel.

OP
V

Vector150

Registered

Yes I run 64 bit OS and this peron I know was telling em this and I my was was like ???. So since I have not went to i7 yet i went to the one site that would have the answers to this debate. And yes I have the need for 12 gbs of ram. And again I thank everyone for their info on this matter.

DarkWhite

Please tell me gaming isn't your reason for needing 12 Gigs of RAM; because that equates to multiple instances of AutoCAD, a couple photoshops, and enough left over to run a few virtual machines

OP
V

Vector150

Registered

LOL no gaming is not the only thing I do. When I have time to game yes. Between what I do for work and my own extras on the side. I will be shooting for more ram.

Bobnova

I have seen one (1) person on this forum so far that actually used >6gb of ram. What is it you do that consumes so much?