• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tripp Lite SUPER7 $19.99 Surge Suppressor Protector 150V Clamping V 2160 Joules

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
and has been avoiding being sucked into another over analysis, deep dive into something that I already commented on before!
I love train wrecks.....it's a weakness. :facepalm:

I talked to an EE (from the electric company, my wife works at) a min ago about the RMS and actual clamping voltage. All the RMS value does is (and I should have known this being into audio and amplifiers) is define how many volts are allowed to run constantly. It doesn't trip at 150V, it trips at (in this case) 320V (or what it's rated at). Basically, you can't run 220V line into that surge protector.

FTR, JR, I only called on ya to cover the RMS/why is that 150V/whats the other 170V... etc..the other stuff landed when I read it.

What an informative post JrClocker. Thank you.

I have this basic UPS I'd like to use to give me a few minutes to keep my router going in case of a power outage:
https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/prod...VA-120V-1-USB-charging-port-Retail/P-BVN650M1

Since the UPS is not very powerful, I was going to plug the router into the Surge Protector which goes INTO the UPS.
I was told that if you plug the UPS INTO the Surge Protector, it affects the UPS performance/battery.

What is your view that, and what is your view on people installing "whole-house" suppression....

As far as UPS and Surge Protector combo:

APC says NO to UPS into Surge Protector:
"Plugging your UPS into a surge protector may cause the UPS to go to battery often when it normally should remain online."

APC says YES to Surge Protector into UPS:
[Sort of - AS LONG AS YOU DON'T OVERLOAD]
If you overload, (draw too much power) then this may be "...causing the UPS to report a lower percentage of attached load than there actually is. This can cause a user to inadvertently overload their UPS. When the UPS switches to battery, it may be unable to support the equipment attached..."

In other words, they say YES, but only if you don't attach too many power hungry devices.
In my case, a router will not draw too much power - so it should be okay.
It would be nice to know what constitutes "too much draw" however.

Thank you for that post JrClocker.

EarthDog, here's more info on where Tripp Lite got the clamping voltage to be 150V.
It is indeed 150V, however, it's a sine wave that alternates from positive to negative voltage.
So, the peak voltage is 150V or -150V. Add them together and you get 300V.

So the true value is indeed 300V and not 150V, which is still great, 300V is just fine.

Back