• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

troubleshooting hardware issues during 3dMark06

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfather1138

Over the last week I have been trying to get my PC back in line. So far so good I guess, but I am still having what I believe to be RAM issues. The only definitive visual evidence I have of any serious issue (RAM or otherwise) is when I run 3dMark06.

During the CPU tests I get what I know as "(v)RAM sparkle" where you don't have artifacts, but multiple pixels fail to color so you have an image with mostly green dots "sparkling" all over it. I know that generally during 3d applications this is caused by issues with the VRAM on the video card, but can I transfer that directly to this CPU test and assume that this is being caused by my system RAM, or am I looking at a possible issue with my CPU?

System:

EVGA 780i
QX9650 currently @ 3.5, but this issue happens at any clocks
4GB Dominator DDR2 1066 at stock recommended timings and voltage
3 x GTX 285 all at stock clocks
150GB WD V-Rap
1TB Samsung
Corsair 1000W PSU

Thanks in advance

Wrong forum? If there is a better place for this question could a mod move it please? Thanks

I have never heard of system ram causing that type of issue, but I have been surprised before.

So this DOESNT happen in 3d? Does this happen in 3dmk Vantage? In actual gaming? Have you tried removing two of the cards and testing them individually?

I'm running XP so I can't test Vantage. The 2 CPU tests during 3dMark06 are the only times this happens. The 3d tests look flawless, as does actual gaming.

I am about to step out so I'll run P95 small fft while I'm gone and see what happens. I don't have memtest 86 or the Intel burn test ATM, but will grab them if need be. I figured the incident in 3dMark was pretty definitive of something... I just don't know what :)

Haven't had any issues with small fft. I am going to extend the test time as I have only been able to let it run for a couple of hours so far, but all was well during that time.

actually, no. I noticed there was an update for 06 but didn't grab it yet b/c I didn't really think it was related. I'll do that tonight along with memtest.

Thanks for brainstorming with me. I hate feeling lost when no one around here really gets my line of thought with troubleshooting.

Back