• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Troubleshooting my rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Work computer that 2bles as my away from home gaming rig when work is slow.

Specs:

P5K Deluxe
Either X3220 or Q6600, I cant honestly recall which I put in there last
2 x 1 GB PC8500 Crucial Ballistix
EVGA 8800 GTX
Some cheapie sound card
2 X 250gb Seagate Barracudas in RAID 0

Description of problem:

Started as screen flickering only when the computer went to standby or just turned on. Originally lasted 30 or so seconds, and over the course of 6-8 weeks progressively started getting longer until the flickering went away, and darker blacks on the flicker as well. As of the last few days the flickering would last 3-5 minutes until it went away, and when first turned on it didnt even start as a flicker, it was a black screen that started to flicker.

After the rig was "warmed up" the flickering didnt continue until it was shut down, or went into standby mode again.

Now the computer wont POST at all as of today.

Everything in this rig is 2nd hand, and most of it benched and beaten hard subzero by me personally, and Ive beaten some of this stuff HARD :D. So to me, it could basically be anything at all that is wrong with the rig.

TBH, Im not in the mood to pull everything apart, setup a test bench with all known working hardware and put each item to the test right now. It will prob come down to that, but wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what this problem "sounds like" superficially.

A bit more details....

1. The CPU in this computer is running at stock, because it would no longer overclock and POST several months ago at 3.5Ghz. Once I put all CPU values to stock it worked just fine. Could be the CPU but the description of the problem doesnt seem like it to me?

2. 8800 GTX is voltmodded. Jason here at OCF VMd it for me for Vgpu and Vmem about....12-18 mo ago? 8800 GTX has appropriate voltage when the rig is powered on, and volt mods appear to be working.

3. Swapped the 8800 GTX for an 8800 GTS G92 which to the best of my knowledge is still working. (Was working when I last tested it about 18 months ago). No change - still no POST.

So basically, before I pull the whole rig apart Im just curious if this problem sounds specific for any 1 particular issue that comes to mind.

Thanks in advance guys.

OnDborder

Kind of looks like some kind of component on the mb slowly going bad then finally gave out. Did you give the mb a good looking over for some swollen or busted caps?

OP
Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc

Kind of looks like some kind of component on the mb slowly going bad then finally gave out. Did you give the mb a good looking over for some swollen or busted caps?

Gave it a glance, but not a good looking over.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Hey, haven't seen you for a while.

Do you have a case speaker connected to the mobo so you can hear POST beep codes? Do you have another monitor you can test?

OP
Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc

Hey, haven't seen you for a while.

Do you have a case speaker connected to the mobo so you can hear POST beep codes? Do you have another monitor you can test?

Yes I retested on another monitor that I am 100% sure works (the one Im using right now) and no POST.

The P5K doesnt have any beeps for POSTing unfortunately, so I am left with only visual cues via the monitor.

Looks like I am going to need to break this rig down and rebuild it testing each component along the way.

If I have a RAID 0 setup, can I connect both disks of the RAID 0 to another computer and access it as if it were just a single drive? I never tried to recover information from a RAID 0 before. The RAID is likely working normally, its just something else in the rig acting up.

Thx again.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
You can connect the drives to another ICH9R or ICH10R motherboard and boot to safe mode for file recovery. Just make sure you connect the drives to the same sata ports. I booted an ICH7R array with a ICH9R mobo.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

OP
Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc

Thanks man.

Im not really in the mood to troubleshoot TBH.

Ill prob just get the data I need off of the drives, rebuild the rig, and put the rest of the hardware into my "questionable" pile :p

Thx :)

OP
Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc

Well hell yea.

Looks like I lucked out here.

As I always tell EVERYONE who ever asks me, before you start pulling a whole rig apart make sure its not your memory.

Well, after putting a different DDR2 stick in the rig posted right away!

Dang Crucial Ballistix. I think this will be 10 gb total over 3 years that Ive had to RMA!!!!

And I have no spare memory other than mooching off of my main home/gaming rig, which I dont think I want to do.

Off to Newegg for a cheap fix I go.

EDIT/ADD: Hmm after putting in some new DDR2 it seems that I still have the screen flickering issue. I didnt have that issue at home with the same DVI adaptor but different cable and monitor so it seems I have a cable/monitor issue to content with as well. Oh well, at least its up and running and have some time to get backups on my work files without having to dig through the RAID 0 as a salvage procedure.

Last edited: