• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

True surround sound headphones/headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hajalie24

So my HD555s are close to crumbling. A huge crack just happened today with the left headphone dangling out and I had to superglue it back together.

Anyway I'm looking for some replacement. One thing I disliked about my sennheisers was directional audio. I used to have a set of Turtle Beach 5.1's that, while nowhere near as comfortable as the HD555's, I was easily able to tell where that sound exactly came from. With my HD555's it's more like he's somewhere in this direction, but I have no where exactly.

I tried G930s before over a year ago, I found it not very different than my HD555s, absolutely nothing like the true 5.1 headset I used to own. I barely listen to music, so I'm not too concerned about things that most audiophiles would be I guess. It needs to sound clear and be extremely comfortable, like my current HD555s. I could wear these for hours (and do, even when I'm not listening to anything) and not have any pain, while I found the G930 and especially my old 5.1 headset to be uncomfortable after a few hours.

I don't know much about this stuff, the razer tiamat caught my eye, being the only 7.1 headset and all. But it seems like a lot of games or movies don't support 7.1. Any suggestions? I have lots of time to purchase this, I probably won't be seriously gaming for a few months.

Please refer to this thread.

Also, listen to this with headphones.

Surround sound for headphones is just a marketing gimmick. Any headphones can play TRUE surround sound (as you hear sound IRL), so long as it is recorded properly.

Headphones that connect through a standard 3.5mm adapter can NEVER be real multi-channel surround, since they are only receiving a stereo signal.

Please refer to this thread.

Also, listen to this with headphones.

Surround sound for headphones is just a marketing gimmick. Any headphones can play TRUE surround sound (as you hear sound IRL), so long as it is recorded properly.

Headphones that connect through a standard 3.5mm adapter can NEVER be real multi-channel surround, since they are only receiving a stereo signal.

Umm, not trying to be rude but you completely missed what I'm asking for.

I'm looking for real surround sound headsets. Not sure if you just skimmed my post or what but I mentioned trying "virtual" surround sound headsets and they sounded nothing like the real 5.1 headphones I used to have. They had 3 different plugs also, not one standard 3.5mm. Directional sound was great. I could know when something was behind me, not like how it currently is with my HD555s where I could only guess that something was behind me since I don't see anything in front of me.

This was the previous set I had, excellent directional sound but my ears always killed me after a few hours. They also completely fell apart.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826502011

Again, I don't want some virtual 7.1/5.1. Those are no different than any headphones and I know it. I'm looking for suggestions on a headset with multiple drivers in it for an actual surround sound experience.

I have a set of the 7.1 tiamats. They are a decent heaset and the surround works well. They are quite heavy because of the multiple drivers per ear.

I got rid of them because I do not really use the surround and I bought some AKG Q701s :)

I have a set of the 7.1 tiamats. They are a decent heaset and the surround works well. They are quite heavy because of the multiple drivers per ear.

I got rid of them because I do not really use the surround and I bought some AKG Q701s :)

How was the surround sound though? Were you able to wear them for long periods of time without discomfort?

I never had an issue with comfort.
I honestly don't have anything to compare the surround to. You could definitely tell direction.

Lol, if you think turtle beaches provide "true surround sound experience" over any other set of headphones... well...

Anyway, "surround sound headphones" (driver count doesn't matter, 2, 4, 8, 10 drivers)... whatever. Thats not the point. They use basically an inline DAC to change the sound to exaggerate surround sound effects. The headphones themselves make zero difference to being able to perceive distance and location. The main reason why you liked those turtle beaches so much, is probably because they were voiced for in game effects instead of being a general purpose headphone or listening device.

You seem pretty dead set on your opinion of this matter, and I know you're probably going to just ignore me, or flame me for "not reading", but I figured I'd give it a try.

edit:
fwiw, I purchased a set of Razer Tiamat 7.1, and I have a 7.1 receiver. Theres really no special difference between them and any other "surround sound" headphone, even though they have 10 drivers. I returned them to the store after about a week because I couldn't stand how poor they sounded for my ears.

I was not aware that real surround headphones even existed... o_O

I mean, I know about the Taimat and such, but I didn't realize that they actually accepted a 7-channel signal. Damn.

I was not aware that real surround headphones even existed... o_O

I mean, I know about the Taimat and such, but I didn't realize that they actually accepted a 7-channel signal. Damn.

Eh, even still, they weren't anything special to my ears. Like I said, its mostly how they are voiced and what they are intended for. On a proper setup, good heaphones can portray accurate audio positioning (footsteps, gunfire, etc) just as well.

Considering the HD555's were among a staple alongside the AD700 in the Counter-Strike community, your experience is a little, well.... Different so to speak, since CS is a game HEAVILY reliant on directional audio.

Don't fall for the marketing BS, I've said it in 10+ threads so far to people that see "Gaming" and "Surround" slapped on a box so it must be good. You can have 20 drivers in each earcup for 40.1 Surround sound....., but the earcups sit where? Your ears.... Surround sound systems work by having many speakers far away from you in various positions..

Having said that, and as someone who has used the various "true 5.1/7.1" surround headsets available on the market, I would suggest spending your money in headphones once more, but perhaps something with a better sound stage. Btw, the Sennheiser headband cracking issue was resolved a couple years ago.

If you absolutely refuse to listen and think we are bull****ting you, go check out Medusa-USA or Psyko Audio, one of their overpriced gimmicks may be right up your alley. After all, Medusa-USA made the claim that their headsets were banned in CAL and CEVO because of "how superior" they were, despite the usual crappy drivers that stopped working after mere months of use just like every other cheap headset manufacturer that stuffs numerous crappy drivers in an earcup and jack up the price. lol..... kinda sounds like Bose or Beats by Dre advertising *shocker*

Last edited:
What's a "good" setup for headphones? With my HD555s I had it in a creative fatal1ty sound card and I'm pretty sure it had some virtual surround sound feature and it wasn't that great for directional audio. With the 5.1 headset it didn't have any software drivers, I just had windows set to 5.1 and my games set to 5.1 audio.

I mean it's not like I couldn't tell directional well with the HD555s, it's just that it was more of a guess compared to what I remember from the 5.1 headphones. I could be misremembering as this was 5 years ago, but I really don't think so, since I had this same thought a few years ago when thinking of the two.

What are all these setups with the headphones that you're talking about to improve audio? Cause I could just test them out of my current HD555s, if I like how it sounds I can pick up the ATH-M50 the next time it's on sale

Honestly I wouldn't touch the M50s, especially not for gaming. Sound stage is almost non-existent.

Anyway, lol. I think what you will personally enjoy is a headphone with good separation and soundstage. The AKG K701/K702/Q701 have the biggest soundstage out of any headphone south of the HD800. So my opinion would be the Q701 for you, however, they are quite bass light. So if you are a basshead, they may not be the best for you. Btw, I'm basing this off your want for positional audio.

*Edit*
You know what, I'm a tard, I can just link you to the holy grail that you seek on your quest,
Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide

+1 to everything sobe said. He knows his sh...stuff.

I will also suggest the NVX XPT100 ($80) as an excellent contender in the ~$100 price range.

Why don't you get a audiophile quality headphone like a HD598 that has a very big sound stage that will give you the surround you are looking for and then buy a sound card like the Asus Xonar Essence ST. You will have audiophile quality for everything. Not some POS "gaming headset".

How does the sound stage of the HD555 rank with your guys suggestions? Maybe that's why directional sound wasn't too good for me.

HD555 is among the best for picking up positional cues. That's why I said your experience is strange and not the norm. The one headset that would be the absolute best for positional audio would be between the K701 or Q701.

BigTerminator, he already stated he had the HD555's and didn't care for them. While the HD558/598 is an improvement over the previous 555/595 units in sound quality, there is nil difference in directional audio.

I ordered the HD558 for my brother last week, as his current headset is falling apart. He mostly plays counter strike. I bought that headphone, because it is supposed to have good positional sound. Just need to get him a mod mic when the new version comes out. I personally have the Beyerdynamic MMX300. Absolutely love that headset, awesome sound, extremely comfortable to wear for hours (sometimes I fall asleep with them at my desk), and a very good quality mic all in one.

I was a victim of the surround sound marketing once. I had bought the logitech g35 headset, and I was disappointed. Sound was decent, mic was just ok, comfort wasn't that good and one side of the headset broke 3 months in (not due to abuse).

Jimmy should be set to release the 4.0's for public release anytime now. The mic quality on the 4.0 is absolutely superb and you will be pleased if that is the one you are waiting on :)

Back