• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying different CPU settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Farwalker2u

Over the last couple of days I went from folding on both my GPU and CPU, but when I tried on just the GPU the PPD increased significantly
But since I have a 3900X with 12 cores and an i7 12700K with 12 cores, I thought an experiment was in order.

In the advance folding control I went to "Configure".
Then under "Slots" I selected cpu. Then I chose 2 cores instead of the default.
My predicted PPD went down (from 20M to 17.5M on the 4090 and the 12700K, and up slightly (from 6.5 M to 7.2M) on the 3080 and the 3900X.
Looking at CoreTemp only 3 cores are active (around 50%), the rest are inactive on the 3900X; on the 12700K four cores are active . . . all the efficiency cores with the eight power cores doing nothing!.
Strange . . . .

Seems like CPU folding is difficult to get a reasonable return for the energy cost.

Seems like just running the GPU and pausing the CPU gives the most PPD on a consistent basis.
Does anyone have enough experience with folding to authoritatively recommend which way to go?

Last edited:
In my personal experience and reading I feel GPU only is the way to go. The CPUs no longer deliver equal points to the wattage they pull or the extra heat they put in your house compared to the return you get from the GPU.

After my first install on a new machine the client will be running on the CPU and GPU. I set the CPU to Finish in the advance control panel, then delete the CPU slot once it has returned that WU & paused.

Yes, Ubuntu is Linux. It's what most use (at least from my observations). If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I've done an install or two... :p

Yes, Ubuntu is Linux. It's what most use (at least from my observations). If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I've done an install or two... :p
Did you have any trouble with 22.04? I installed that a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't work...I previously did have an installation of it that did work.

No expert but I must have at least 50 Ubuntu installs under my belt....

Ended up using 20.***

I used this install procedure. (Subbing a few things like newer drivers.) Did you see any deviations from the following instructions you might have done?

I wish I had checked the logs...They would have told me what was failing.

Last edited:
Did you have any trouble with 22.04? I installed that a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't work...I previously did have an installation of it that did work.

No expert but I must have at least 50 Ubuntu installs under my belt....

Ended up using 20.***

I used this install procedure. (Subbing a few things like newer drivers.)

Was it a problem installing F@H? or a more general problem? One thing I have found is you have to install F@H via the software GUI thingy (I know, wonderful technical description eh?) simply runnig sudo apt install ./fah7.x fails. Granted I haven't tried using dpkg with --force-depends since the GUI method worked. Perhaps I'll write up a quick 22.04 folding rig guide.

Was it a problem installing F@H? or a more general problem? One thing I have found is you have to install F@H via the software GUI thingy (I know, wonderful technical description eh?) simply runnig sudo apt install ./fah7.x fails. Granted I haven't tried using dpkg with --force-depends since the GUI method worked. Perhaps I'll write up a quick 22.04 folding rig guide.
Not a general problem specifically fah does not work.

Did you mean using SNAP? The app in the depository? I never found that to work.

You'll have to be specific as those directions work for most installs, certainly for 20.**

It sounds like you used different directions...Do you have a link to them so I can look at them?

OMG, purging snap is like the second thing i do after an install :p Ok, I'll just whip up a quick how-to thread and keep it so that every day folks can understand it. Today is busy for me, so it might take some time but it sounds like some might benefit from it. Also of particular note: for the love of all things holy, set your software to NOT install automatically. Since the Nvidia drivers are now in the main repository, when an update is avail it WILL update the GPU driver and crash your folding. You seen the 9/18 fails on 2 of my ships? that's exactly what happened.

Yeah and always use the LTS for the love of all that is holy. Learn from my trials and tribulations lol

Yup yup. LTS or bust haha. I mean, if you start fresh with 22.04 you're good to go till nearly the end of the decade. If you subscribe to their free support accounts, it lasts for 10 years on on up 5 boxes at the free lvl. Frankly I don't even know how to set that part up, as at 5 years I'll be ready for an upgrade anyway :ROFLMAO:

When I used Linux on my 2 4P servers (I still have:)) I installed from the file viewer (like windows explorer or for Win 10 file explorer), I just double clicked on each icon to install.

client_control.jpg

IIRC back in 2013 the best PPD (don't know about wattage use) were the huge multi core CPUs with something like four 64 core CPUs per system.

Back