• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to disable cpu fan speed requirement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brickout

Hi all -

I just received an old emachines computer for free, and I think it's a good candidate for a htpc. 1GB ram, 2.0GHz celeron, mATX ff.

Anyway, my first task at hand is to replace the cpu fan with something quieter. It is a 60mm fan that spins at 3k rpm all the time, and is LOUD. The problem in replacing it is that the cpu fan header needs to have a fan plugged in, and it has an rpm requirement to be met or else the system shuts itself down.

I have fans sitting around w/3-pin headers that spin between 1100-2200 rpm. The slower ones don't meet the requirement, and the pc shuts down. The faster ones pass it, but are still too loud for what I want the pc used for.

Does anyone have ideas for working around this? There are no bios options for disabling the feature. It's an emachines, so the bios hardly has any options at all...

All ideas are appreciated.

cre8

You can prob find what mobo it is then go to the manufactures site and find a bios for and flash.Don't know if it'll work.I think someone did this here or somewhere else I dont remember.

OP
brickout

brickout

Yeah, I'll try that...

I haven't had good luck with finding good bioses for big brand pc's in the past, but i'll give it a whirl.