• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to find an inexpensive (hahaha) Multiport NIC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taoism

Registered
Hi all,

For some reason it seems from my Googling that a multiport (say, 4 port) NIC (PCI preferred) is very hard to find.

Do any of you know of an online retailer I could get one (hopefully) inexpensively?

I would also work with 2 dual-port cards if I had to. I'd prefer to not spend a ton of money, since this is just a personal project.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Keith.

Last edited:
They get very expensive. I've yet to see a dual or more port network card sub-100.00 range. You can buy a bunch of realtek 8139 cards very cheap. I've got a few motherboards with 6 pci slots so it's not an issue, but I'm not sure how your machine is. You could also find usb-ethernet adapters. I don't like the idea much, and it'd be much slower than typical ethernet, but would work. What idea are you playing with if you care to share?

- Jim

http://www.pinecomputer.com/pinecom/re4popciroca.html

I don't know whether the Windows drivers can be configured to allow each port to be used as its own interface, rather than as an "internal router". I have read that in Linux the card works as a simple four-port ethernet card. I do not know whether all the ports are seen as separate interfaces - it may just be a single interface connected to a switch, all on a PCI card.

Mr.Guvernment said:
Any specific reason you need this? or cant do 4 sperate nic or a single nic to a hub / switch ?
Not sure what he needs them for, but we use them in our routers, most of which are 1u or 2u cases so there is only 1 or 2 pci slots available.

Back