• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to fit a custom single/dual rad loop in a Corsair 250D, advice needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

victor.m

Alright guys, howdy. I've been doing my research or most of this evening and think I have most of my (theoretical) parts figured out. My plan is to either do:

(a) Single 200mm front mounted rad loop

(b) Dual - 120.2 side mounted rad + 120mm front mounted rad loop

(c) Single 120.2 side mounted rad loop

Bare with me. Here's my current build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2XO59

Here are the components I think I am decided on:

Pump: Swiftech MCP350™ 12v Water Pump (Native 3/8") (92.4 GPH)

Reservoir/Top: EK DDC X-RES Top 100 - Acetal CSQ

Tubing: PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 3/8"ID x 1/2" OD - 10ft

Fittings: Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting - 3/8"ID x 1/2"OD - Single Gold (FCC-3812-1P-GO)

CPU: EK Supremacy

GPU: EK GeForce 780 GTX Ti VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel + Acetal (EK-FC780 GTX Ti - Acetal+Nickel)

Given that I'll have to figure out all the clearances for my case, but I think I can make these components fit with the tubing clearing all my panels/no kinks/etc using properly angled compression fittings and 1/2 OD tubing. My big question is the radiator setup.

I can probably fit this radiator: Phobya 200mm Radiator with two 200mm x 20mm fans in the front. I can then remove my side radiator, and use a (UN) bracket to install the MCP350+Top on the side of the case, where one of my 120mm fans+rad used to be.

This would leave me with a single 200mm radiator, that has pretty good reviews, to cool my GPU and CPU. Does that sound sufficient?

My other option, is to run this 120.2 radiator on the side:

MagiCool Extreme Dual 120mm Radiator[9] with two 120mm x 20mm fans. I can't use 25mm fans due to the thickness of the radiator+fans would be right up against my VRM riser. This is the setup most likely to just work, as it's extremely similar to my current H100i setup, but with the addition of a dedicated pump+reservoir top and the GPU block.

But I'm also worried just a 120.2 radiator setup might still not be enough, in which case I could add this Black Ice GT Stealth 120mm radiator to the front.
If I did that, I'd have to find a way to mount the MCP350+EK top to the back 80mm fan holes. Is it possible to do this with any kind of bracket? Would this work? XPSC Pump Stand.

Any suggestions/opinions on components is greatly appreciated. I am fairly certain I can make this work, I am just not too sure on how much cooling I need for the 780 Ti and Haswell. Also really new to this, so quite frankly, I have no idea what I'm doing and would love help!

Thanks!

That single 200mm wont be enough. The dual 120mm and 120mm would be good option. For reference I run ac 240mm rad for my 290 and i5, maxed temps are around 65c (benched), gaming would be no more than 50c. Your temps would be a bit higher if you run one 120.2 rad

My question to you OP is if you're looking for a quiet cooled rig or noise isn't an issue? Does case size matter? I've noticed you've added a H100 CPU cooler which contradicts your water cooling listing by adding a CPU water block. Please redefine your parts list on both ends. I will say that the PSU chosen might not be up to par for a 780. (780 - 600 watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 42 amps on the +12 volt rail.) I just think the amps might not be there. Another example is for $4.99 you can get the best pump out in the market atm.

Before jumping into water cooling I would take the time, days and weeks on reading our water cooling stickies and checking this site for very useful information as there is a lot to learn on the differences of components used and maintenance required. Take a look at a ton of build logs as well. As the saying goes, "Patience is a virtue."

Hope this helps.

Back