• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to FTP install linux Mandrake. cant find file/connect to server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hey guys. Im hating windows as usual cuz its throwing another retarded fit. So im trying to reinstall mandrake on my test rig. Well for whatever intelligent reason, it wont connect to the FTP server, OR it cannot find the file.

I burned the boot.iso to my CD as i did last time, booted form it, set up the DHCP, but i ALWAYS get some dumb error about not finding the file or FTP server not responding.

Can anyone give me a good FTP AND filename to enter in???

Also, say i get gentoo on my main rig (hah yea right) does gentoo AND mandrake both support putting the bootloader to floppy? Last time my luck wasnt so great. I removed linux, did the whole FixMBR deal, and it booted to XP fine yea sure...then crashed the second it hit desktop.

ive confirmed its up and running. I ping it, i access it in IE, ill be looking right at the files. No luck. the ONLY thing im doing different, is i have a crossover cable on that PC now rather a standard cable. Ill try that and see if i get any difference.

EDIT: I THINK it mite not be settiing up the network right. I tell it DHCP since thats what my router supports.

unless im typing the name wrong? any way i can test if its working right?

Last edited:
Lemme make sure that I understand you. From IE on your main box, you can access Mandrake's FTP server and look at/download the files. The problem is that you can't access the FTP server from your secondary rig while installing Mandrake.
Both computers are connected to a router and use DHCP. Your main one uses a patch cable and your test box uses a crossover cable.
Right?

I'd say it's probably the crossover cable. Try switching the cables (or reterminating the crossover cable).

To check what's on your network, you can use nmap. Something like nmap 192.168.0.* -sP should tell you what's up, depending on whar IP addresses your router assigns.

Christoph said:
I'd say it's probably the crossover cable. Try switching the cables (or reterminating the crossover cable).

I didn't even see that he was using a crossover cable.

Is your Linux box connected to your windows box through the crossover or to the router? If it's connected to the router you just need a regular Cat5.

ok i swapped it. No, the linux box goes right to the router. I dont understand, first itme around this went so smoothly...

christoph, u say nmap would tell me? based on this command name thats a linux command? where would i type this?

Strangely i was actualy having better luck with gentoo, even after it didnt find my network card i downloaded the universal and it claimed my hard drives had bad sectors.

nmap is a pretty standard Linux tool, but you can also download a windows version from the site I linked to. To use it, open a terminal emulator (xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, etc) and type the command.

One note about Mandrake Mirrors, I have never had them ever work for me, whether it be for an FTP install or a simple update, they never ever worked.

Im not sure of anyone elses experinces, but mine were never good.

By the way, I do hear that Gentoo is quite the OS ;) (maybe give an SSH install w/ the live CD a shot)

Back