• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get beyond 3.1GHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonlinux

Registered
Hey Folks.

Right now I have my AMD 64x2 Brisbane 5000 2.6GHZ overclocked to 3.1GHZ.
I would love to see if I could get beyond that. I tried to go to 240x13 and it crashed. So after resetting the C_MOS I just have it set to 239 x 13 at 1.344V. My VID control is set to Auto in the bios.

I have the RAM set to max memory clock. Not sure exactly how to overclock RAM just yet. Also be interested in OC'ing the GPU, if possible.

Is it possible to go beyond 3.1GHZ?.

Here are my current specs :

Brisbane 5000 2.6 stock
Biostar NF52 A2 SE
MUSHKIN DDR2 800
Thermaltake V1
GEFORCE 8500GT 512mb
Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Here is my read out from CPU-Z

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=818021

I look forward to learning as much as possible.

Last edited:

mxthunder

Thats a pretty nice OC for that chip. I had a 5400+ brissy that I could only get to 3.2.
A better CPU cooler would be your best option to help with the OC.

QuietIce

Disabled
:welcome: to OCF!

Not bad! :)

You might try turning your HT Link down to 4X instead of 5X.

You may be running up against a wall with that RAM speed. For now I'd just lower the speed setting to DDR2-667 (333 MHz) and come back to it later. Can you post the stock timings and vDIMM or take a screen shot of the CPU-Z SPD tab?

How are your core temps at load? OCCT and Prime95 are both good programs to load your CPU and CoreTemp is a good program to read them, though Brisbanes sometimes have issues with their internal sensors.
Prime95
OCCT
CoreTemp

For more information on OC'ing an AM2 see: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

Good luck and post back with results ... :)

OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
:welcome: to OCF!

Not bad! :)

You might try turning your HT Link down to 4X instead of 5X.

You may be running up against a wall with that RAM speed. For now I'd just lower the speed setting to DDR2-667 (333 MHz) and come back to it later. Can you post the stock timings and vDIMM or take a screen shot of the CPU-Z SPD tab?

How are your core temps at load? OCCT and Prime95 are both good programs to load your CPU and CoreTemp is a good program to read them, though Brisbanes sometimes have issues with their internal sensors.
Prime95
OCCT
CoreTemp

For more information on OC'ing an AM2 see: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

Good luck and post back with results ... :)

Thanks for this info. Just did what you mentioned.

I run coretemp and my idle is 32 - 33 degrees celcius and max temp running Prime95 was on average 48 - 50 degrees celcius.

The stock timings on my Mushkin RAM is 5-5-5-18. here is a shot of the SPD.

Attachments

• ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 144

QuietIce

Disabled
With a load temp of 50°C you've still got a little room there. You might try a 1.40 vCore but keep an eye on the temps. Usually once you hit 55°C or so you've gone as far as you can with the cooling you have.

When you're done with the CPU you might try pushing the vDIMM as high as 2.0 with the stock timings. If that doesn't work then drop back to 1.9v and try 5-6-6 and let the other numbers float. If that doesn't work maybe 6-6-6-18 will. In the mean time the best bet is to reduce RAM speeds as mentioned earlier and keep pushing the CPU ...

OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
With a load temp of 50°C you've still got a little room there. You might try a 1.40 vCore but keep an eye on the temps. Usually once you hit 55°C or so you've gone as far as you can with the cooling you have.

When you're done with the CPU you might try pushing the vDIMM as high as 2.0 with the stock timings. If that doesn't work then drop back to 1.9v and try 5-6-6 and let the other numbers float. If that doesn't work maybe 6-6-6-18 will. In the mean time the best bet is to reduce RAM speeds as mentioned earlier and keep pushing the CPU ...

Not to sure I know how to increase the vcore. In the performance part of my BIOS I have the following to select from.

CPU VID Control [default ] then it goes by percentages. +3.3% - +6.6% and +10%

CPU Frequency [239.0 right now ]
K8<->NB HT Speed {got it set to 4x ]
K8<->NB HT WIDTH [auto]
DRAM Config
CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
SATA Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Clock [100MHZ]
NPT FID Control [auto]
DDR Voltage [ 1.95v]

Thats is exactly what I see for options and what is already set. I believe the CPU VID control is the voltage?. Is this correct?. I do not understand exactly what the +3.3% and so-forth represents.

QuietIce

Disabled
:-/ I really dislike those "%" settings. It should represent a percentage of the default value but the Big Question always comes up - What is the default value? - and that's a good question since it's dependent on the CPU and BIOS programmer.

I'd start with 3.3%, keep an eye on temps, and work your way up. If you start to have problems and your temps are still 55°C or less then increase to 6.6% and continue - but watch the temps as you go. You've got some room there but not a lot of it and every CPU heatsink is a little different ...

OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
I set it to +3.3%, should i try to up the frequency now to maybe 240x13?

OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
Ok just booted her into 240 x 13 and she runs. Is she stable is the question. Here is a screenshot of new score.

Attachments

• newtemp.jpg
    newtemp.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 142

Bobnova

Next up is cranking the speed till it doesn't run anymore, if it did 239 at stock volts, it should do more then 240 with +3.3%.

OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
Next up is cranking the speed till it doesn't run anymore, if it did 239 at stock volts, it should do more then 240 with +3.3%.

Here are my latest scores.

247 x 13 with HT X 4 and +6.6% on VCore. Just broke the 3.2GHZ barrier.
Temps are getting higher though.

Attachments

• 3.2ghz.jpg
    3.2ghz.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 135
OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
I have just broke the 3.3GHZ barrier.

Attachments

• 3.3.jpg
    3.3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 136
OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
Looks like +10% vcore at 261 x 13 is as high as she will go for load temps. Look at the screenshot. Prime95 stopped working as the temps tried to exceed 57 degrees celcius. I have no doubt that she will boot into 3.4GHZ. Only a fraction away from that barrier. Though load temps are just to much.

Attachments

• max.jpg
    max.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 135
OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
OK due to load temps I am backing off. Just hit 3.4GHZ at 262 x 13 and +10% for vcore.

IS there anyway we can stay at 3.4GHZ or do I just need to put here back the stable 3.1GHZ?. Just amazed I hit 3.4GHZ.

Attachments

• 3.4.jpg
    3.4.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 128

QuietIce

Disabled
I'd back down to 6.6% and find a stable OC there. It seems your equipment can't really handle 10% and even though it's a good experiment I personally don't like running much above 1.45v anyway (my personal choice). Often an OC will stabilize ~100 MHz below it's top end so try 250x13 and check for moderate stability then slowly work your up if it's good there ...

OP
neonlinux

neonlinux

Registered
The experiment was good, but stability is my number one concern. I set it back to +6% and 250 x 13. I hope 3.2GHZ will be a good number for my hardware.
I am currently running Prim95 on that computer and the temps on full load are fluttering between 51 and 59 degrees celcius. Bit to high for my liking. Think I might lower the frequency a bit more.Actually just set her to 247 x 13 and hope that might take a few degrees of load.

QuietIce

Disabled
That small decrease in speed won't matter much - most of the heat comes from the vCore. I've got an Opty 165 I ran at 60-62°C for almost a year without problems before I put it on water (because I had the parts for it, not because I had to) so running at those temps should be OK. But you may have to turn the clock down a little anyway to go back to a 400 MHz setting on the RAM. I'd let that be the final decision-maker - for now make sure it's stable where it is ... :)