• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get my ram higher than 2666mhz and stable on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mr. Tuna stopped by and we found the problem, it's the motherboard. The "B" slots aren't working correctly so no dual channel. I also tested his CPU in my board and booted right up with his ram at XMP. He's currently running 2x8 GB @ 3600 in single channel using the first two slots on the board and inquiring about a replacement.

Mr. Tuna stopped by and we found the problem, it's the motherboard. The "B" slots aren't working correctly so no dual channel. I also tested his CPU in my board and booted right up with his ram at XMP. He's currently running 2x8 GB @ 3600 in single channel using the first two slots on the board and inquiring about a replacement.

Spent a couple hours with Johan, awesome, helpful guy, cool collection of computer goods!

Extremely nice of him to welcome me into his home.

I really thought I was crazy, trying to tinker with so many settings and nothing I seemed to do was working. Glad Johan was able to diagnose the issue. ASUS is willing to RMA the board, going to try taking it to the store I bought it at in town to see if they'll help me out first.

Spent a couple hours with Johan, awesome, helpful guy, cool collection of computer goods!

Extremely nice of him to welcome me into his home.

I really thought I was crazy, trying to tinker with so many settings and nothing I seemed to do was working. Glad Johan was able to diagnose the issue. ASUS is willing to RMA the board, going to try taking it to the store I bought it at in town to see if they'll help me out first.

What a trooper keep marching on and post how it works out.:)

Good joy on not giving up. Faulty hardware is a pain but it does happen sometimes, having extra to test with makes finding the promos much faster.

I actually thought K_T would have updated this yesterday but maybe time was short. He sent me a text outlining all the whining and finger pointing the shop owner did prior to finally testing the board and agreeing to replace it for him. I was surprised at some of the BS that was coming from this "tech" dude.
"the board only guarentees 2666" but ASUS says up to 4200 MHz and it will run at 3600 just not in all the slots
This is my favourite. " On an ASUS Prime mobo only Corsair Ram will OC like that" implying that the OP bought the wrong brand of RAM. OP shows him the ram is on the QVL
Then it was "you should have bought a Gaming board"
In the end K_T had all the ammo he needed and the shop dude agreed to take the board back. He should have his replacement tomorrow if all goes according to plan.

I actually thought K_T would have updated this yesterday but maybe time was short. He sent me a text outlining all the whining and finger pointing the shop owner did prior to finally testing the board and agreeing to replace it for him. I was surprised at some of the BS that was coming from this "tech" dude.
"the board only guarentees 2666" but ASUS says up to 4200 MHz and it will run at 3600 just not in all the slots
This is my favourite. " On an ASUS Prime mobo only Corsair Ram will OC like that" implying that the OP bought the wrong brand of RAM. OP shows him the ram is on the QVL
Then it was "you should have bought a Gaming board"
In the end K_T had all the ammo he needed and the shop dude agreed to take the board back. He should have his replacement tomorrow if all goes according to plan.

Thanks for this Johan.

I have no computer!!! So no internet browsing for me right now. Today I had to hang out with the wife and dog.. and this was the worst part.. we went outside! My new mother board is coming tomorrow morning ( Asus strix z370-e, my ram and processor worked well with this board when we tested it at Johans house, on his board ). Now I just have to decide if I have the courage to try to put the PC back together myself.

Regarding the previous board, ASUS agreed to RMA without an argument, agreeing the one channel in the prime board was defective. I bought the board at a local store with a 30 day return policy, on Monday when I brought it in, it was day 29 :). The owner argued just about everything, it had to be my fault, I shouldn't care about any speed over 2666mhz etc etc. He even went as far as saying he will be reselling the board. I'm happy I got my return at least, and I hope the strix works better for me. I'm hoping to try to learn CPU overclock and get my 8600k to 4.6 or 4.7 on my master evo 212 when I get the new board as well.

Sounds like your moving along well through the difficulty. Post how the new Asus strix z370-e works out.:) I also have new Z370 motherboard and i5 8600k coming Friday.

Sounds like your moving along well through the difficulty. Post how the new Asus strix z370-e works out.:) I also have new Z370 motherboard and i5 8600k coming Friday.

Sweeeeeet, enjoy! And you have a master evo as well, I fully understand the master evo can't pull magic out of its *** and perform large overclocks, but any estimate what might be safe with it on the 8600k?

Probably in the 4.5-4.7 range depending on the CPU and how much voltage it needs.

Stock voltages let to set about 4.5-4.7GHz and that can be stabilized on a cheap cooler ( hard to say about the noise ). My 8600k is lets say not the best and it runs at 4.7GHz ~1.15-1.20V ( LLC is not easy to set on my board ).

Sweeeeeet, enjoy! And you have a master evo as well, I fully understand the master evo can't pull magic out of its *** and perform large overclocks, but any estimate what might be safe with it on the 8600k?

I'm planing on 4.5GHz to 4.6Ghz with Hyper 212 and stock voltage. The only settings I'm changing in BIOS is the multiplier and XMP. I don't feel like doing a lot of testing to find completely stable manual voltage settings, maybe I will in the future when I'm not busy.

In the event you read this before you install the cooler, the easy way to install the cooler on the motherboard is lie the motherboard down flat.

- - - Updated - - -

Stock voltages let to set about 4.5-4.7GHz and that can be stabilized on a cheap cooler ( hard to say about the noise ). My 8600k is lets say not the best and it runs at 4.7GHz ~1.15-1.20V ( LLC is not easy to set on my board ).

What motherboard do you have?

I'm planing on 4.5GHz to 4.6Ghz with Hyper 212 and stock voltage. The only settings I'm changing in BIOS is the multiplier and XMP. I don't feel like doing a lot of testing to find completely stable manual voltage settings, maybe I will in the future when I'm not busy.

In the event you read this before you install the cooler, the easy way to install the cooler on the motherboard is lie the motherboard down flat.

- - - Updated - - -

What motherboard do you have?

Advice helped on the cooler, thanks:) will try 4.6 OC tomorrow .

Update!!!

I got the motherboard early in the morning and put together the computer myself, was pretty happy with myself, it went really well. Computer posted right away with everything at stock, I was so happy to see bios. I got an error that the CPU fan was plugged in the wrong header. So I instantly tried XMP for the 3600mhz ram. XMP wouldn't boot. I then updated the bios. XMP still didn't boot.

At this point, morale went very low lol. I texted Johan panicking right. He texted me to make sure the ram were seated properly. So I took the ram out, put them back in, and corrected my fan issue and put it in the right header.

It booted up on XMP right away!!!!! Woohoo. I'm ecstatic.

I only had 10 minutes to play around with it since I was running late but everything seemed stable. I know if XMP is enabled on an Asus board, it can make the voltages way too high. So tomorrow I'm going to make sure my voltages are okay, and I'm going to set my CPU to run at 4.6. My understanding is at 4.6 I just need to set it so all cores run at that, and my voltages should be at stock?

My journey with the ram is finally over. Thank you to everyone who responded in this thread and tried to help me with their knowledge. Then of course, even more so to Johan, who welcomed me into his home, and answered my frantic text messages. I really appreciate it.

Wrote this on mobile, sorry if it's a mess.

Thanks for update. I'm glad to see it's working now :thup:
Even though 4.6GHz should run at default voltage then auto may set too high voltage. Default voltage for this CPU is something near 1.15V so try that and up to 1.20V manually. Everything else ( voltages and other settings ) can be at auto.

Thanks for update. I'm glad to see it's working now :thup:
Even though 4.6GHz should run at default voltage then auto may set too high voltage. Default voltage for this CPU is something near 1.15V so try that and up to 1.20V manually. Everything else ( voltages and other settings ) can be at auto.

Which voltage would you be talking about exactly? I'm sure it's common knowledge, but not so common for me :p

Here's two pictures of where I'm at right now, how does this look?

Glad it is working fine for you.:) I'm just curious what is your Vccio and Vccsa in HWiNFO with XMP 3600 speed?

Back