• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to Improve Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quartertwelve

Registered
Hey everybody,

Trying to improve my cooling setup for video editing workstation. At the moment, temperature for Mobo peaks around 65-70 degrees Celsius, CPU around 45-50, and GPU around 40-45. I think I have an adequate push pull flowing through, but I know it could be improved and would like to drag down these temps as much as possible.

Any suggestions?

Here's my build:

Chassis:
Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid Tower ATX Computer Case

Cooling:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler

GPU:
1 x ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Mobo:
1 x ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
1 x Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80633i74930K

Memory:
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10Q2-64GZM

Optical Drives:
1 x LG Internal Super Multi Drive SATA Model GH24NSB0 - OEM
1 x LG Internal 16x Super-Multi Blu-ray Writer

Hard drives:
1 x ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-256GM-C 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
2 x WD Desktop Mainstream 2TB Intellipower SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WDBH2D0020HNC-NRSN

PSU:
1 x CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Thank you as always for bearing with me.

I dont see a temperature that needs to be improved. The GPU is fine and so is the CPU...by a lot. The only thing that is questionable is the motherboard temps. What is giving you that temp? Can you confirm it in another piece of software.

Went ahead and ran some tests. Used prime95 in line with MSI Kombustor, then used Real Temp 370 and my BIOS to reference temperature. Originally I was just going off the BIOS.

Here are some screenshots:

Temp1.png

Temp3.png

Temp2.png

I'm with earthdog, I see nothing to do anything about.
you could look at water for the cpu but it's still going to heat the room just the same.

Good to know. How about fans? Is it worth replacing the ones that came with the chassis? Adding on another?

More fans help. But also more noise. Unless you replace all the fans with some low noise quality fans.

But your temps are perfectly fine. I don't know why you would change anything. It won't last longer, it will still use the same wattage and still heat the room exactly the same.

The Ivy Bridge CPUs were good up to 95c or so though I would not want to run it that high except in short spurts as in stress testing.

Back