• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to OC q6600 to 3.2ghz, but it aint eays with msi p6n diamond!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Treble557

Registered
Mmmk, here's whats goin on atm. I've added a Turniq Tower to my cpu to cool it, running at stock speeds on my cpu and it's 20-30c under load. I ran the prime95 test that pushes it to it's max, sits at 40c on both main cores, and 37 on the 2 cores that don't have to do anything but the test.

Soooo, my temps are good so far I do belive. Keep in mind, im at stock speeds for my cpu still, which is 2.4ghz.

Here's where the problems come into play! The 680i chipset is a decent chipset, or was atleast, until MSI got their hands on it. So, I have this really messed up bios to work with, I guess with a mobo that doesn't take too well to extra volts.

- http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P6N_Diamond&class=mb
This is a link to the mobo I have and a review on it

- http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2182&page=4
This is a link to the mobos bios pics of the "cell menu". That's where you do the overclocking.

As you can see, it overclocks in volt incriments. For instance.. It's defaulted at I belive 1.2v for the cpu, so on the cpu volt menu there you would be adding 0.0500 to make it 1.25v.
It's FSB volts goes in incriments of 4%. Starts at minimum:default, max: 20%.
So going one up from default (it doesn't say what default is btw), would put you at 4%. Then again would be 8%, and again 12%.
The north bridge and south bridge work normally. they increase in volts as always, and are set to normal volt amounts by default.

Ok, so... That's the background on the mobo/bios im stuck working with to OC this cpu, and my cooling.

Now, I've tried with someone who knows a fair bit about overclocking, to overclock my cpu to 3.2ghz, and we had to stop because apparantly the turniq tower wasn't seated right, or the thermal paste was messed up. So I took apart the comp, re-did it all, and it all "seems" ok atm. We'll only know once I go to OC it again if it's truely all in good shape or not.

We got it to a stable 2.8ghz last night, but then after I finished rebuilding the comp again today, it refused to boot just like with the other speeds we set it to that night. So I poped the mobo battery and reset it all again, and it booted just fine.

We tried 3.0ghz, and the comp decided to restart itself randomly, and at 2.8 it was fine until I rebuilt it.
At 3.2 the comp just straight up didn't want to load to windows. It would go to the loading screen then lockup.

We had the NB set to 1.5v, SB 1.55v, FSB V to 12%, and +0.13V on the CPU.
I forgot the exact numbers we had the core and **** set to.. It was like 1450, or 1250, can't remember what we had it on with the 2.8... We kept the multiplier at 9x, and I think the mem was at 622.

Keep in mind, im not great at overclocking. Infact, im retarded with it because Ive yet to really do it before. The guys that's been helping me poped on a messager to gimme a hand with it off the guru site. Awesome guy, very helpfull. Helped me to decrypt my weird *** bios.

This bios is so messed up, that turning off the options that force down the CPU speeds well in the OS doesn't do anything. Like one review said of it, it's almost as if the bios has a hidden list of prefrences that it makes sure never changes, no matter what you set things to in it.

Alright, well... The entire point of this post, aside from complaining about my mobo, is that I need some more help with overclocking this thing. It's... Not easy apparantly. I might not even beable to get past 3.0ghz (or get to it for that matter) with this mobo. It would suck, but... Hell, it's getting close to upgrade time mobo wise for me I guess. lol

My goal is 3.2 ghz! Any suggestions would be great, and if anyone could pop on x-fire and gimme a hand that would be awesome too. I'll be around for a while tonight. Lookin foward to hearin some responses.
Thanks guys!

man, and i thought my OC was screwed.
Ok, first what your VID of the chip, use CoreTemp to find out
Also look up Q6600 padmod on google, it automatically makes it 3Ghz, im gonna do it on my PC and see if it helps my OC
Hope this helps:)

man, and i thought my OC was screwed.
Ok, first what your VID of the chip, use CoreTemp to find out
Also look up Q6600 padmod on google, it automatically makes it 3Ghz, im gonna do it on my PC and see if it helps my OC
Hope this helps:)

Currently my vid is 1.2625v. Whats this program you're talking about do btw? It goes and sets all the volts and such but through the OS instead of the bios?

coretemp shouldnt set any volts, it just shows ur CPU and temps
And ur VID is AWESOME you could oc loads with that, mines 1.325V so it sux
did you look up Q6600 padmod?

coretemp shouldnt set any volts, it just shows ur CPU and temps
And ur VID is AWESOME you could oc loads with that, mines 1.325V so it sux
did you look up Q6600 padmod?

From what I can gather, padmodding is simply putting tape or something over the cpu, which sounds.. odd, and like it should set on fire, but yeah... Is that even safe?

Also, we had to increase my volts to 1.3 in order to get OCing to 2.8 to be stable at first. Not sure if we pushed the volts a tad loosely when we shoulda upped other things first.

Well, one thing we did that could have been at fault, was we upped the volts right away, without testing other settings first to hit 3.2.

When we tested the original 3.2's and the comp wouldn't start, we didn't up the SB and FSBV at all, so upping just them might work. Not sure though.

What do you guys think the SB NB and FSBV should be at for 3.2?

I just ordered the GTX295, with EVGA's step up program, so now I really wanna get my cpu OC'd decently so it's not bottlenecking my shiney new video card!

If anyone has any suggested settings to try to get this thing working, please toss em out.

no need on the SB or much on the NB or even the FSB.

Check your ram speeds, volts and timings.
what kind of load temps with prime 95 are you getting?

ya dude its your mobo holding you back. they dont take quads very well.

no need on the SB or much on the NB or even the FSB.

Check your ram speeds, volts and timings.
what kind of load temps with prime 95 are you getting?

ya dude its your mobo holding you back. they dont take quads very well.

atm 40C is the max load I get with prime 95, and without adding any volts anywhere the comp refuses to start when I try to clock to any speed above 2.80.

i couldnt get my QX6700 up passed 3.2GHz even with 1.5v on my old 680i... now with it in my abit x38 Qaud Gt it can do 3.6GHz with 1.45v... the 680i is generally not a good overclocker for quads... luckily for me my 680i gave up...

Ok, so get this. I have what seems to be a stable overclock at 2.9ghz right? I run the primal95 blend test for 2 hours 10 minutes, nothing fails, everything is perfect, temps are all low in the 40-50C range.

So, you'd think that after that you'd have a stable system, amarite? WRONG! I went into WoW for 5 f*king minutes, and BAM comp resets itself retardedly fast. Like, wow, just wow. No temps spiked, no nothing. It just resets as soon as I hit WoW.

I upped the volts to the cpu and fsb a notch, and wow seems ok atm... Been 20 mins so far. It looks like wow is more of a stress test then prime95! lol

not sure about your 680i board, but your voltages seem high compared to my ASUS P45 board. I have a 1.325 VID chip (bad) and I have a stable overclock at 3.0 GHz with Vcc 1.35v and NB at 1.24v.

Not that this is the answer you want to hear but.....since you just dropeed $60+ on a cooler and $500 on a video card, you might as well bite the rest of the bullet and get a good P45 board to do this overclock. It's going to cost you another $100 but will save you countless hours of pulling your hair out.

Generally speaking you have a chip that should have a high overclock potential (i've heard of people getting to 3.6 Ghz on air) but you're not going to be able to get the most out of it with that board. I would recommend you buy an asus P45 board that meets your needs as there are a lot of people with them on this site and they should be able to help you out if you run into problems down the road

tachi1247 is on to something... sell the 680i and get youself a good P45, you will be happy at how much easier it is to OC!!

Back