• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to stabilize Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with AMD AM3+ FX-9590

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbuild

Need some guidance and assistance! Please?
Trying to avoid returns and headaches.. but may seem unavoidable.

System deadlocked during (first install) restarts with win 10 pro install, freezes during gameplay (Fallout 4) and/or large file transfers (50GB).. can't seem to figure out the best alternative for setup.. trying to avoid hardware replacement, thinking there may be a bios setting that may fix it all but it's getting to me. I haven't built a computer in a while and jumped into building a new one rather impulsively.

Main Hardware:
AMD AMD3+ FX9590 4.7GHZ
LEPA AquaChanger 240 Liquid Cooler
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Bios version 2501
Thermaltake Core V51 Mid-Tower
Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1866 4X8
1000W LEPA MaxBron B1000-MB ATX
PNY 960GB SSD SATA III
HGST 4TB Ultrastar Enterprise 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Asus STRIX R9 390 8GB Card

According to CPU-Z Core Speed ranges from 4715-5016 ghz regularly and drops to around 1404ghz every minute or so.. core voltage between 1.464-1.512 V and drops to 0.888.. multiplier goes from x23.5 and 25 to 7.0.

System.png

Is this an example of instability? And is this causing the freezes? Or Hardware? Any suggestion on possible part issues and replacement or bios settings that have worked previously greatly appreciated.

I have looked all over the place and can't seem to wrap my brain around it.. don't want to give up. This system should run super fast and be reliable when running anything considering its 8 core.

What to do what to do???

It is due to throttling. Either CPU temp or VRM. And yes, it can cause freezes.

It is due to throttling. Either CPU temp or VRM. And yes, it can cause freezes.

Is there hope for any stability by fixing the temp or vrm issues? or is the hardware just too much maybe.. I am asking for expert troubleshooting advice/suggestions for this new build and hoping there may be someone here that has fixed this sort of issue previously so I can avoid trashing this project. I am no expert unfortunately so bare with me I suppose.

There are already a million threads on stability and the 9590. Search those.
It's all temp and voltage related.
Cooling is paramount. The 9xxx series is probably the hottest CPU ever made at 220w+.
Your AIO is barely adequate for running it at stock speed.

Do you happen to know of one that was successfully solved that indicates an appropriate volt setup with this type of hardware? By chance recommend an AIO that is adequate.. ?

Thank you for your reply.

Currently UEFI Bios shows -
Temperature:
CPU - 107.6F / 42C
MB - 86F / 30C

Voltage:
CPU - 1.500V
5V - 5.142V
3.3V - 3.336V
12V - 12.46V

Fan Speed
CPU Fan 2606RPM
CPU OPT 1767RPM
FAN 1 1178RPM
FAN 2 135RPM

Looking for good suggestions please.. the system seems just fine.. just doesn't hold up when necessary.
Maybe the cooler i guess but what makes it inadequate? I'm lost :(

two things I would do first, mount a fan to cool the vrm heat sinks, when you mounted the water cooling system, you took all the airflow away from those heat sinks.
then go into bios and set the llc to high or above that.

- - - Updated - - -

the leaping around of the core speed is what it is designed to do, under full load it runs at 4.7, when only a few cores are being used it jacks that up to 5.0, when the cpu is doing nothing it idles down to 1.4.
under win 10 the poor thing hardly ever gets to idle down with all 8 cores at 1.4, win 10 is very busy all the time.

Wasn't it also noted that AMD sometimes has a bad time of frequency shifting, it's doesn't happen fast enough and it tends to lock the system from overvoltage or under voltage? That might of been a bad way to state that, the p-states don't get the voltage changed fast enough or something like that.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will consider that and/or possibly switching up the case as well ... if the heat is really a problem will one extra fan do the trick though? The cooler i have should've been fine. Seems the temps are fairly low and too extreme. S1920x1080_20160619_115345.jpg

see those nubbly things, across the cpu block from the ram?
those are the vrm heat sinks, they get very, VERY hot with the cpu you have, point a fan to it blows over them.

here is a pic of my 8 core rig ( yea, with a camera I suck), look in the top left of the pick, see the fan? it's zip tied in space and you need to do something like that.

Attachments

• PIC_1050.JPG
    PIC_1050.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 604
Thank you for the suggestion. I went ahead and changed the system for an Intel instead.

Corsair Graphite 760T Full-Tower
EcoMaster Revolution XT 750W
Asus X99-A II Motherboard
Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3 GHz
Corsair Hydro Liquid CPU Cooler H80i V2
Patriot Viper Elite DDR4 32 GB 2400MHz Kit
EVGA Geforce GTX 960 4GB
Samsung 256GB 950 Pro M.2 SSD
Toshiba 5TB Internal
Asus 16X Blu-Ray

Huge difference in speed, especially stability and is a very quiet system.
Thank you for the assistance.

Back